Reload this Page >

Help with new DVD-RW (DL) installation

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-22-04, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought and installed a new Lite On DVD-RW (Dual Layer) and installed it on the secondary IDE drive as the master drive. The slave drive is a Lite On CD-RW.

The master drive used to be a DVD-ROM drive and, even though the Device Manager lists it as "LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-832S", I can't burn with DVD-R's.

I fired up Nero (brand new installation from the included CD) and put the media in the drive and it recognized it as a DVD-R with 4.whatever gigs free, but when I add data and go to burn it, it tells me to insert a CD-R and doesn't seem to want to write at DVD-R capacity.

Any ideas? What could I be missing here? I didn't install any drivers as I'm on Windows 2000 and the manual says I shouldn't have to (I tried to update the driver via the control panel and searched both the included CD and Windows Update and it told me to stick with the included driver).

I'm not really in a hurry to burn DVDs, but this is mainly a back-up drive and I'd like to be protected as soon as possible (I have an old backup on a hard drive), so any help is greatly appreciated.

TIA!
Old 07-22-04, 01:12 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess you can try looking through your Device Manager and remove any sign of the old DVD-ROM and whatever happens to be the current device at secondary master. Then reboot and see if it installs correctly.

You probably should be using a high-density IDE cable and have your drives jumpered as cable select.
Old 07-22-04, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't see any signs of the DVD-ROM - but it still recognizes the drive as the DVD-R, but the software won't recognize DVD-R.

As for HDIDE? Didn't see anything at Newegg or Outpost. A search of google didn't turn up much either. I could stop by Frys tomorrow to see if they have something, but I don't really think the cable is the problem...
Old 07-22-04, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I'll ask the stupid question. are you making sure to select dvd from the drop down list for the new compilation?
took me a few times to notice that option

as for the cable, I have mine connected using a dma33 cable with the jumpers specifying master and slave for my two drives on that cable

Last edited by mikehunt; 07-22-04 at 02:16 AM.
Old 07-22-04, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by mikehunt
I'll ask the stupid question. are you making sure to select dvd from the drop down list for the new compilation?
took me a few times to notice that
Stupid drop down list!!! I feel so stupid (though at least I'm not the first person to miss it - I just assumed it had the different drives - not different burning media)...

ETA: Burning now - 13 minutes for 4.2 gigs ain't too shabby...

Last edited by Blake; 07-22-04 at 02:15 AM.
Old 07-22-04, 02:16 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Blake
Stupid drop down list!!! I feel so stupid (though at least I'm not the first person to miss it - I just assumed it had the different drives - not different burning media)...
You're lucky that's all it was. If you were using Roxio and had that problem you'd have to get into the drive definitions in the registry and do some editing. For some reason they seem to forget to keep up their definitions of LiteOn drives.
Old 07-22-04, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
before I actually burned a disc I was messing around with nero and kept not being able to find the dvd options in the list, then I saw the drop down above it
glad it worked
Old 07-22-04, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Blake

ETA: Burning now - 13 minutes for 4.2 gigs ain't too shabby...

Ive done the exact same thing a few times