Reload this Page >

best place to buy a computer?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-21-04, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

online or in a store? if online, best website? dell? gateway? other?

if a store, which store? bestbuy? compusa? other?

also, how much RAM do you think i need? i dont play games or do a lot of graphic-intense stuff but i do run lots of programs at once (and have lots of IE windows open at once). i want my computer to run REALLY smooth and fast. i hate having to wait...i hait pauses and delays...im impatient

how much RAM should i go for?
Old 07-21-04, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i've been looking at AMD Athlon 64 systems from HP online. Since they are nforce 3 150 based they are about as fast as the newest Dell systems that are much more expensive. Anything with Intel will cost more. Anything you buy retail will usually cost alot more. I would get 512 MB RAM at the minimum. If you want more than configure it with the least amount of RAM and then buy 1GB and upgrade it yourself.
Old 07-21-04, 10:49 PM
Mod Emeritus

http://www.apple.com/buy/
Old 07-22-04, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: best place to buy a computer?

Originally posted by atari2600
online or in a store? if online, best website? dell? gateway? other?

if a store, which store? bestbuy? compusa? other?

also, how much RAM do you think i need? i dont play games or do a lot of graphic-intense stuff but i do run lots of programs at once (and have lots of IE windows open at once). i want my computer to run REALLY smooth and fast. i hate having to wait...i hait pauses and delays...im impatient

how much RAM should i go for?
I say... online... dell... don't be a cheapskate! get ram! get a lotta ram! a gig! even more! make sure your drives spin at 7200 rpm's! be "really" upgradeable... having multiple memory slots don't mean snot if your motherboard maxes out at 1GB of memory. that's how they trick you!
Old 07-22-04, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by al_bundy
i've been looking at AMD Athlon 64 systems from HP online. Since they are nforce 3 150 based they are about as fast as the newest Dell systems that are much more expensive. Anything with Intel will cost more. Anything you buy retail will usually cost alot more. I would get 512 MB RAM at the minimum. If you want more than configure it with the least amount of RAM and then buy 1GB and upgrade it yourself.
thanks.

are the amd athlon processors reliable? if i can save a little cash here and there to spend on other parts of the computer (say upgrade the RAM) is that worth it?
Old 07-22-04, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk God

after dealing with every known brand.. my recommendation will always be to go with a dell

take a look at the dell deals regularly posted on sites like techbargains.com and bensbargains.net
cant really beat dell's prices.. especially considerly the FAR better customer support and ability to upgrade it will offer over some of the lower tier manufacturers.
Old 07-22-04, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

thanks.

are the amd athlon processors reliable? if i can save a little cash here and there to spend on other parts of the computer (say upgrade the RAM) is that worth it?
i have family that has an AMD laptop and it's rock solid. AMD is better at gaming. all the benchmarks prove it. The A64's also have the memory controller in the CPU which improves RAM access.
Old 07-22-04, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jason Northrup
http://www.apple.com/buy/
I was thinking the same thing when I read the title of this post.
Old 07-22-04, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

any other factors i need to consider? i havent bought a computer in over 4 years. like i said i dont game at all, but i want a really fast and smooth running computer. whats the min. processor speed i should go for right now?
Old 07-22-04, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You basically need a system for browsing/emailing. Going for RAM over 512 is overkill. Going for an AMD 64 is overkill. I suggest an AMD XP2500+ (mobile) based system, just because its more bang for your buck (can be OC'd nicely down the road when you need more juice). If you get a brand name computer, make sure they don't stick you with some crappy MX board with everything onboard including the video card. Cuz the video card takes memory from RAM (Dells low end models all do this).

I think you shouldn't be cheap when it comes to monitor, Computer case, and mothrboards. These 3 things are not something you would upgrade down the road. CPU and Video cards shouldn't be the top of the line items, cuz you pay a premium for marginal performance gain.

I would never buy branded items, but it all depends on how much you know about computers, or wanna learn.
Old 07-22-04, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

thanks for the info but what do you mean by branded items? when you say that i think of a cow getting poked with a hot stick.
Old 07-22-04, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

and whats OC'd mean? sorry for the questions but i really dont know the terminology.
Old 07-22-04, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

and whats OC'd mean? sorry for the questions but i really dont know the terminology.
OC'd means overclocked which refers to taoying with the cpu to get it to process faster than it's rated for.
Old 07-22-04, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thanks for the info but what do you mean by branded items? when you say that i think of a cow getting poked with a hot stick.
lol .. branded means you buy a system from dell, IBM, HP etc. big brands.

the opposite would be buying a system from a local computer store. they'll end customizing one for you depending on which parts you ask for.

one way is getting an already built systems (which is basically branded computers are), the other is to select components and telling them (the computer store) to put it together for you.

with the second way, you know what you're getting. if you notice, when you go to popular computer hardware sites for reviews, they don't review dell 2400 model, or compaq ABC model, they review individual components.
Old 07-23-04, 10:27 AM

I'd say hold out for a dell deal or build your own AMD computer (I like www.newegg.com )
Old 07-24-04, 10:55 PM

You might want to consider these points from Walter Mossberg.

http://ptech.wsj.com/guide-pc.html
Old 07-24-04, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

thanks.

i cannot overemphasize how important RAM is to me, even though i never do gaming. i want my computer to run smoothly no matter how many programs i run or how many IE windows i have open (i believe RAM is the limiting factor here, correct?).

it seems the recommendation is 512 MB - how long is this going to last me before i have to upgrade it? is 512 "more than enough" or just "good enough?"
Old 07-24-04, 11:40 PM

I recommend just going to newegg.com picking yourself out a nice case, mother board, processor, RAM, HD, and CD-R / DVD-R.

Build the computer yourself. With XP and today's plug and play standards, you'll be surprised at how much you save and how stupidly easy it is to build a computer. Plus, if you get to pick your parts, you guarentee you have quality. You'd be surprised how much generic parts go into already built systems.

If you're intent on buying an already built system, I'd recommend at least a P4 2.8 or higher. You don't game or do video editing, so I don't think you have much use for a higher end P4 or an AMD 64.

As for RAM, 512 is fine if all you're opening is a lot of IE windows and pop-ups. 512 is considered "standard"now. You can go more, but from what you say you're going to use your computer for, I doubt you'll need more than 512. Besides, if you end up running some wierd program that sucks up all 512 MB of RAM, it'll suck up all 1GB of RAM as well
Old 07-25-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

is there anything wrong with buying a computer from say, best buy or circuit city? im looking through their ads and their computer deals seem better than anything online i can find. is there a catch? am i missing something here?
Old 07-25-04, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

is there anything wrong with buying a computer from say, best buy or circuit city? im looking through their ads and their computer deals seem better than anything online i can find. is there a catch? am i missing something here?
Reminds me of someone I know that bought a Sony VAIO desktop system from BestBuy about a year ago. Found out that Sony (maybe this particular model) didn't come with any CD's. If you needed a "restore Disc" they would charge you for it. Seems like a way to sell complete systems cheaper these days.

I highly recommed a clone PC over a Brand name of any kind.
Newegg.com is the best/fastest place to buy computer parts .