Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Bring my TechTV Back...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Bring my TechTV Back...

Old 07-21-04, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bring my TechTV Back...

I have to admit I hate the new G4TechTV programming. It's been in my area since May and since then I have found that I rarely even check it anymore. I'm a gamer myself, and I thought i'd like the channel, but it blows. I used to love The Screensavers, but it's only on before I get home from work now. I want my old TechTV...

Anybody agree/disagree?
Old 07-21-04, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree completely.

Tech TV used to have a nice selection of technology-related programming, from games to computers to the latest in electronic gizmos. I especially enjoyed the reruns of the old "Thunderbirds" TV series.

But now it's 24-7 gaming crap. No variety whatsoever. The Screensavers is hanging by a thread, but there are so many changes, especially with the departure of both Patrick and Leo, I doubt I'll stick with it.

And have you noticed how badly the reruns of The Screensavers have been sped up to make room for more commercials? It's like watching a Keystone Cops movie, but with sound.
Old 07-22-04, 08:52 PM

I definitely agree. Sometimes I'll watch XPlay even if I'm not interested in the games because it's got a great sense of humor, but G4's shows just suck because they take gaming way too seriously and almost act like it's an extreme sport or something. I can't imagine their shows appealing to anyone but people who play games 8 hours a day. I want my TechTV back too! No more of these crappy shows!
Old 07-22-04, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
But now it's 24-7 gaming crap. No variety whatsoever. The Screensavers is hanging by a thread, but there are so many changes, especially with the departure of both Patrick and Leo, I doubt I'll stick with it.
I hate to be melodramatic and say stuff like, "Without Leo, the heart and soul of the show is gone." However, without Leo, and now Patrick, something is being lost. I have continued to watch these last few months since the takeover, but I have a bad feeling about the "rebirth" of the show in LA in September. Patrick will be replaced with a new host. I'm guessing this person will be under 30. I have nothing against people under the age of 30, having been one just a few years ago, myself. But what is wrong with a mix of ages? I have a feeling that I will not be a regular viewer of the Screen Savers when new shows begin again in September. It is sad to see G4 alienate the viewers from Techtv that don't fit its demographic.

Last edited by Alvis; 07-22-04 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-23-04, 12:23 PM

I guess I'm fortunate that Time Warner removed it from the programming grid because it didn't have a contract in place with Comcast - so I can't see how bad it's gotten.

Then again, I so miss TechTV - it was by far one of my favorite channels to watch - despite Kevin & Sara
Old 07-23-04, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Alvis
I hate to be melodramatic and say stuff like, "Without Leo, the heart and soul of the show is gone." However, without Leo, and now Patrick, something is being lost. I have continued to watch these last few months since the takeover, but I have a bad feeling about the "rebirth" of the show in LA in September. Patrick will be replaced with a new host. I'm guessing this person will be under 30. I have nothing against people under the age of 30, having been one just a few years ago, myself. But what is wrong with a mix of ages? I have a feeling that I will not be a regular viewer of the Screen Savers when new shows begin again in September. It is sad to see G4 alienate the viewers from Techtv that don't fit its demographic.
From what I hear Will Wheaton will be taking over for Pat. I have a hard time watching any of the programs due to the change.
Old 07-24-04, 01:15 AM
Cool New Member

At leoville.com Leo posted starting in August he starts taping Call For Help 2 for G4/techtv Canada. This is a different channel than what we receive in the states. So if you live in Canada and receive G4/techtv Leo is coming your way.
Old 07-24-04, 01:28 PM

Used to watch both channels all the time. Since the merger, I only watch a few of the old G4 shows and nothing from the TechTV lineup. Used to love Call for Help and Screensavers. Now that Pat and Leo are gone it seems (at least for me) that most of the entertainment is gone. This merger blows.