Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

What companies are heavily involved in RFID tags?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-21-04, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

I keep reading about RFID, the technology that will take over bar codes. What companies are heavily involved in the R&D/Design/Production/Marketing of this product? I'd like to learn more.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-21-04, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

BTW, I found a couple lists here however, I'm interested in learning more about publically traded RFID companies.

Thanks
Old 07-21-04, 09:06 AM
Mod Emeritus

Re: What companies are heavily involved in RFID tags?

Originally posted by MitzEclipse
Hi All,

I keep reading about RFID, the technology that will take over bar codes. What companies are heavily involved in the R&D/Design/Production/Marketing of this product? I'd like to learn more.

Thanks in advance

Try RFID Journal, specifically http://www.rfidjournal.com/article/findvendor.
Old 07-21-04, 05:30 PM
Banned

Mitz-

If this is for stock reasons, you would be better off getting into Nanotech firms, they have a FAR broader spectrum of technologies they are involved in, whereas RFID is fairly limited and the technology will only get cheaper, not more expensive.
Old 07-21-04, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dead, thanks for the link, damn there are a lot of RFID vendors out there.

policy - yes, mainly I'd like to see how well these companies are doing financially. RFID may be getting cheaper, but they'll be more widely used everywhere there is a bar code and more.
Old 07-21-04, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The couple of articles I've read about it all point to wal-mart as one of the biggest pushers out there. I think all their main vendors have to be rfid-enabled by Jan 1.

dave
Old 07-22-04, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Dave99
The couple of articles I've read about it all point to wal-mart as one of the biggest pushers out there. I think all their main vendors have to be rfid-enabled by Jan 1.

dave
Right. Walmart is the big pusher of this in the retail space... any ideas who their vendors will be?
Old 07-22-04, 11:32 AM

There is no clear standard as of yet for RFID. Not a single vendor of RFID has a real clue of what the true standard will be as of yet. I went to a logistics seminar a few months ago that had a working(supposedly) RFID reader that did not do what it was supposed to. As for Wal Mart all they are looking for is a slap and ship solution at the moment. Not a single supplier is willing to slap down millions of dollars for technology that has no clear standards. From some of the RFID vendors I've spoken with it appears they belive that RFID technology will not be a reasonable option for another 4 to 5 years. As it is now 1 RFID tag is about $5. Imagine having to slap one of those on every case or pallet you shipped to Wal Mart.
Old 07-22-04, 04:34 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by corbin dallas
As it is now 1 RFID tag is about $5. Imagine having to slap one of those on every case or pallet you shipped to Wal Mart.
While some tags are that expensive, many are not.

The Gillette Co. announced in January that it ordered 500 million tags from Alien Technology Corp. Gillette VP Dick Cantwell says the company paid "well under ten cents" for each tag.
This is more along the lines of what Wal-Mart is expecting to use. They have already been testing these to some degree in their supply line and have even done some initial testing of smart shelf technology.