Reload this Page >

HTML: Nesting forms?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-19-04, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as I can tell, you cannot nest forms in legal HTML.

I have a webpage with a bunch of form elements. One of the elements is an area where a user can enter objectives. I have ten spaces for them but some users may need 20 or more. So, inside the MAIN form, I have the ten text boxes and I wanted to put a button that if clicked would reveal 10 more boxes. I don't want the page to have 20 boxes since most will only use 5 or 6.

Anyway, if I put this nested form in there, when the button is pressed, it executes the action found in the first form tag.

Anyone?
Old 07-19-04, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Which server side language are you using to process the form? You could alternatively use javascript to build it.
Old 07-19-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm currently using Lasso. But it makes little difference. I don't know javascript at all.

I just want the nested form to send a parameter back to the page to show more lines of html. If it doesn't receive the parameter, it shows the default page.
Old 07-19-04, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Javascript can definitely add the extra HTML code. The reason I asked about server side vs. client side is it may be easier to do one over the other (i.e. you ask the user before they get to the objective page how many objectives they have, then build the page based upon that. To do it client side with JavaScript you will have to build the input boxes when the person reaches that page. Neither is much better than the other, just some people don't have JavaScript so it's easier to build server side). I'm not really sure what Lasso is (even after I did a quick web search on it), or if it is a server side language, but if it has control structures or loops, then you could ask the user how many objectives they want then loop for each objective and build the form fields.