Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

MP3 organization... different ways on your device?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-19-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm only able to play MP3's on my computer and on CD-R's. As I begin to look around at minidisc and hard drive portables (seems overwhelming at times) I am curious how you derive various playlists. Let's say I add the song "Life During Wartime" by the Talking Heads. But I want that song to play back in a new wave file or a punk file or a 70's file. Can I tag this or identify this song so that it would play back in all three of those modes?

I will most likely be able to fill up a 40gb drive so this is important to me. What does your brand enable?

(if there's a previous thread show me the way!)
Old 07-19-04, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

you can do so with playlists.. but i never use them, so i can't give much guidance
Old 07-19-04, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

With the iPod, you can create playlists but the easiest thing for you to do would be to play a genre. The ID3 tag of an MP3 files allows you to name the artist, track name, genre and etc.

Beyond that, you can create a New Wave Playlist in iTunes on your PC if you tagged the song as Post-Punk. The playlist is simply a glorified text file that tells the player the order to load songs in and where to find them. In essence, this allows the song to be used in tons of playlists and only exist once on the player.
Old 07-19-04, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

for his purpose (wanting a song to belong to 3 different "types") genre wouldn;t work
Old 07-20-04, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Read my second paragraph, if he wanted to make a genre playlist he could.
Old 07-20-04, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Brain Stew
Beyond that, you can create a New Wave Playlist in iTunes on your PC if you tagged the song as Post-Punk. The playlist is simply a glorified text file that tells the player the order to load songs in and where to find them. In essence, this allows the song to be used in tons of playlists and only exist once on the player.
Cool. Then I guess my issue is about tagging. With the correct software can you enter endless tagging info?
Old 07-20-04, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep, and actually most of the new audio playing software allows you to change the files tag directly.

For instance, in iTunes (the software required to upload to the iPod) you just right-click on a file and click properties and edit from there.

I personally think that the iPod is one of the greatest computing advancements in a long time. I listen to it all day while I am working and give that 8hr battery a workout Long answer short, if there is someway you want to organize and play your music, iTunes and the iPod can most likely do it.

There are plenty of cheaper players on the market right now, but none with the same look or ease of use.
Old 07-20-04, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks Brain.... I've tried not to convince myself that I need an iPod. But you know how it is... I got a Tivo and would never do w/out it. With 2,000 CD's I would probably make an iPod works it's little guts out. I'm actually drooling over the idea of these various playlists. I asked this same question on another forum and someone told me that he puts stars next to songs. He can play all his 5 star songs if he wants. Simply wild.
Old 07-20-04, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh yeah, you can rate your songs and then play the "Top Rated" playlist that comes with iTunes.

It's basically a smart playlist that continuously updates based on song ratings.

They do a similar thing with the 90's Music playlist that looks for songs released between 1990 and 1999. I created 60's, 70's, 80's and Millenium Music smart playlists.
Old 07-22-04, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Okay, more questions popped in my mind. I just d'loaded Exact Audio Copy and LAME today. EAC's default for tagging is Track Number - Song - Artist. That's not going to look very pretty when I open a folder and see 400 songs that all start with 01.
I changed the order to start with Artist first but this got me to thinking....

What order should this really be? When you have a playlist I imagine it's not a big deal, but I want to make sure before going nuts converting my CD's.

Let's play hypothetical again. I have the Cars "Candy-O" disc converted to MP3. Artist - Song - Track Number - Album. In that situation w/out a playlist the songs wouldn't play in the order they are on the album... it would be alphabetical. But a playlist can be used to play the track numbers in order if I choose so?
Old 07-22-04, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

On the iPod you can browse through your music, which is sorted by

ARTIST, ALBUM or SONG

If you select ARTIST, you then get all the albums alphabetically, once you select CANDY-O, you will then get a list of all the songs in track order. From there you can hit play to start playing the album or just select the first song you want to hear.

This is all done through ID3 tags; The track number is buried inside.
Old 07-22-04, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The iPod sorts the songs in that order even if your MP3s weren't tagged like that in the first place?

Also, is the iPod cool with playing VBR MP3s?

I'm a fountain of questions. Maybe I should look for an iPod FAQ.

Last edited by atlantamoi; 07-22-04 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-22-04, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I keep all of my MP3s by the uberstandard:

http://www.ubernet.org/modules.php?o...e=uberstandard
Old 07-22-04, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow Blake, that's some serious serious tagging rules... but I'm sure it makes for some nice conformity.

Another question if anyone knows... using EAC and LAME. When my MP3 is converted do I need to leave the .log and name of the CD in my folder or can I just delete them?
Old 07-23-04, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can delete the .log and rename them however you want, however, it's great to be up to the standard since it is top quality.
Old 07-23-04, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks Blake... one more question about EAC. These log files and m3u files. I'm still confused if these have any value other than cosmetic. Is the m3u file used for playlists or is it just there to show in my folder where a new title starts? If I delete them it won't have an effect on future playlists or anything?

Last edited by atlantamoi; 07-23-04 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-23-04, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The m3u file is just a playlist of the songs you just ripped. So if you ripped a CD, you then have a playlist for that CD. A log file is just a log of the rip, they're mandatory on ubernet because you can use them to ensure that the rip was good and nothing was doctored after the fact.