Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Need to download a 60mb file; only have a wireless card, no Cable/DSL...suggestions?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Need to download a 60mb file; only have a wireless card, no Cable/DSL...suggestions?

Old 07-19-04, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't use my new Office 2003 until I download this windows service pack. Any suggestions? Can I just bring my laptop to work and plug in the ethernet cord and get cranking? (Same with a buddy's high-speed connection) Or would I have to log in, etc.

I feel bad sitting outside someone else's apartment who has wireless and "stealing" their connection that long.

Thanks!!
Old 07-19-04, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

60mb isnt too bad. i'd ask to borrow some bandwidth from your neighbors if they're cool.

bringing the laptop to work will not work if you log on to use your normal computer.

next thing is to go to your friends house to do the download.
Old 07-19-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess I figured I could just plug in the ethernet cord from either my friend's house or work and it wouldn't be a big deal.

I would assume if I can't use work's because of logging in, I couldn't also use my friend's. I'll try either one though to see if it'll work.
Old 07-19-04, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk God

you shouldnt have to login at work to download
generally, there is no security set on internet access itself.. just on accessing network elements (file servers, printers, etc..)
Old 07-19-04, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by twikoff
you shouldnt have to login at work to download
generally, there is no security set on internet access itself.. just on accessing network elements (file servers, printers, etc..)
I was just thinking the same thing. You can pretty much get on the net, just not access objects on the network itself, although they might not look to kindly on you bringing in an unpatched machine and plugging it into their network. Might cause issues if you bring some kind of virus, etc in with you...
Old 07-19-04, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good thought; I'll try my friend instead.

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-19-04, 05:32 PM

You could also download the whole SP and burn it to a CD from a friend or at work.
Old 07-19-04, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Try a public Library, some now offer free wifi.
Old 07-19-04, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Buy a 64 meg USB keychain thingie and download it on any USB-enabled computer and then plug it in at home I have a 64 meg Iomega one sitting on my keychain...I've never used it, but you never know when it could come in handy.
Old 07-20-04, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would love to do that, but the only place I've found it has been at Windows Update. It doesn't give me an option to "Save As" or something like that.

Anyone know of an alternative place to find it? I do have a 128MB key that I could use if there's a different way to get it.
Old 07-20-04, 02:15 PM
toq

Which service pack are you trying to download?
Old 07-20-04, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Toad
I would love to do that, but the only place I've found it has been at Windows Update. It doesn't give me an option to "Save As" or something like that.

Anyone know of an alternative place to find it? I do have a 128MB key that I could use if there's a different way to get it.
Most service packs have stand alone packages you can download. Which one are you looking for exactly?