Reload this Page >

Ethernet Surge Protection

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-18-04, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking of buying a new surge protector and have decided to get APC Performance SurgeArrest. One version comes with ethernet protection for an additional $10. Both versions come with coaxial and telephone protection.

http://www.compusmart.com/product.as...rPartID=641257

I have a fairly simple set up. My cable modem is plugged into a router which my computer is wired to. Where should I be worried about a surge? Should I plug the modem into protector and then the router? From the router to the bar to the computer?

Is ethernet protection something I should be worried about?

What kind of protection are you guys running for your computers?

- Thanks

Last edited by ten41; 07-18-04 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-18-04, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

in 10 years of computing as a hobby and work I've only seen 1 NIC card go bad, and I doubt it was because of a surge. It's just to get you to spend more money.
Old 07-18-04, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by al_bundy
in 10 years of computing as a hobby and work I've only seen 1 NIC card go bad, and I doubt it was because of a surge. It's just to get you to spend more money.
Ill agree with this

if its the same price.. sure, get it
but dont spend any extra money for protection you dont need
Old 07-18-04, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Theoretically, if you protected the cable modem and the router with a surge protector, there wouldn't be anywhere for the surge to get in. Even better, if you had the coax protected through a surge protector before the cable modem, then there'd definitely be no where for a surge to get in.

But realistically, for $10 more, I don't see the worth.
Old 07-18-04, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by al_bundy
When I moved into this apartment, I didn't have a surge protector with a coax surge protector. I hadn't gotten aroud to getting one a week after getting RoadRunner hooked up when there was a very close lightning strike (somewhere in apt. complex, as complex was without power for 12 hours after all surrounding buildings had power.)

Anyway, after that, I couldn't connect to the internet, and the enet light on cable modem wasn't active. I was sure it was the cable modem, but since it was a Sunday, I couldn't get a new one that day. I went to OfficeMax and bought a new cable modem (with intent to return it after getting replacement..shame on me) and a new NIC card.

I replaced NIC card first, and immediatly was able to reconnect to the net. I don't know how else to explain it other than surge through the coax cable, through cable modem with no damage, and then blowing NIC. Just glad it didn't get my motherboard.