Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Computer won't boot when "cold", RAM problem?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-17-04, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a modem and turn off the computer when not in use.

When it's been off and is "cold", it keeps crashing over and over on startup, eventually "catching" and then it is fine, even if I shut it off and immediately restart it (that is, when it has been running for a while, it doesn't crash if I restart it).

Microsoft tells me that it is a RAM problem. Specifically:

Thank you for submitting an error report.

Your system crashed because the random access memory containing Windows program code was corrupted. Microsoft is unable to determine if this corruption was caused by a hardware or software issue. The nature of the corruption suggests that a hardware issue is more likely. To determine if this is the case, Microsoft developed a Windows memory diagnostic that tests your PC memory.

We recommend you download and run this tool on your computer system. On most configurations, you can download the diagnostic, read the documentation, run the test and complete the test pass in less than 30 minutes. Click here to get started.
I downloaded the program (Microsoft Windows Memory Diagnostic), created a boot disk, and ran it, letting it go through several passes. It didn't detect any problems.

Any ideas? The problem has been getting progressively worse, it took me about 10 minutes to get the computer running tonight.

I'm running Windows XP professional, and my system is ~ 2.5 years old (one stick of PC2100 RAM, 256MB, Athlon processor (about 4.5 ghz)).
Old 07-17-04, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My car has the same problem. Check the choke.

I've never seen a memory problem that clears up when the memory is warm (they usually crop up when it warms up).

PC2100 RAM is cheap. Pick up a replacement stick and give it a try.
Old 07-17-04, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm having a similar problem and I think the heat may be the issue. Here in So Cal it's been hot and muggy and my apartment is like an oven even with 2 fans running 24/7. I've also heard that Athlon's produce a lot of heat.

I'm at work now but my home system, which has run fine til now, can't get past the black Windows Xp screen with the little bar going left to right. I can't even get SAFE MODE to run. When I select it a bunch of line of info run but no SAFE MODE is accessed.

HELP....

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-17-04 at 05:49 AM.
Old 07-17-04, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I had a hard drive problem like that. Windows would fail on first attempt, launch on 2nd. Then it got to be 3rd, etc.

A system diagnostic came on and said failure of my hard drive was imminent. (diagnostic from the hardware vendor for computer, not Microsoft). I replaced hard drive and haven't had a problem since. Once the hard drive was spinning at speed, it was fine, I was able to clone it to new drive w/o trouble.

That story is no guarantee your problem is the hard drive, but it is something else to check.
Old 07-17-04, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This happened to me after a 1 week vacation. I came home and my pc wouldn't boot until the 3rd of 4th try. If I turn it on every day, however, there are no problems. I assumed it was PS related.
Old 07-18-04, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by OldDude
I had a hard drive problem like that. Windows would fail on first attempt, launch on 2nd. Then it got to be 3rd, etc.

A system diagnostic came on and said failure of my hard drive was imminent. (diagnostic from the hardware vendor for computer, not Microsoft). I replaced hard drive and haven't had a problem since. Once the hard drive was spinning at speed, it was fine, I was able to clone it to new drive w/o trouble.

That story is no guarantee your problem is the hard drive, but it is something else to check.

My recovery files were corrupted and I had to use my recovery cd's and do a full clean and install back to factory settings. According to PC Doctor my hard drive has bad areas so I'm guessing vital data was held in the bad areas. I suppose I'll need to put a new one in. Shit!

This computer is only about 14 months old.
Old 07-18-04, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The same thing happened to me after I got a new MoBo, Vid. Card. It turned out to be the Power Supply. I replaced my old 350W with a 450W and havenít had a problem since.
Old 07-18-04, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Giantrobo
My recovery files were corrupted and I had to use my recovery cd's and do a full clean and install back to factory settings. According to PC Doctor my hard drive has bad areas so I'm guessing vital data was held in the bad areas. I suppose I'll need to put a new one in. Shit!

This computer is only about 14 months old.
If it's the hard drive:
*I backed up all files important to me to CD.
*I left it running until I was ready to install new HD. To install new drive, you have to turn it off, but to clone new drive, you have to start it as slave, get old drive to start one last time. After cloning, make new drive master, deinstall and toss old drive.
*If drive is failing, the sooner you swap, the better the chance it will clone, which is lot easier than reloading everything.
Old 07-18-04, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by OldDude
If it's the hard drive:
*I backed up all files important to me to CD.
*I left it running until I was ready to install new HD. To install new drive, you have to turn it off, but to clone new drive, you have to start it as slave, get old drive to start one last time. After cloning, make new drive master, deinstall and toss old drive.
*If drive is failing, the sooner you swap, the better the chance it will clone, which is lot easier than reloading everything.
I couldn't even get the system to work until I reinstalled from the recovery discs. Now the system is barebones like it was when I brought it home. I'm not going to start putting stuff back on until I replace the hard drive.
Old 12-25-04, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Update: It was the motherboard.

I picked up a new motherboard from newegg, and everything is now working fine. Thanks for your help!