Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

VxD error? Stack overflow problem? Please help.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-16-04, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having some serious problems, and I have no idea what to do. I don't even know where to start, so I guess I'll start by saying I'm running Windows 98 on an old Pentium III with 256 MB of RAM. My computer had slowed down to the point where it was hardly worth even getting online. Recently, I downloaded Spybot and Adaware and have run both several times, and it made a huge difference...temporarily. Now, my computer is worse than it has ever been. The latest is that I've gotten a message several times that says something like "Stack overflow problem. A VxD was recently installed. Increase the setting of minimum SPs in system.ini." After this started happening, it's almost as if my memory is just gone. I can't even send out an email now because the computer says I don't have enough memory to do it. When I try to open up a browser, it takes a good five minutes even to respond. I am just at a complete loss for what to do. Can someone please help? Thank you.
Old 07-16-04, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, when I saw the vxd error, knew it was a windows 98 problem.

It probably is a video driver error, can you reinstall your video driver?

Did you recently install directx updates? that seemed to cause some problems for me when I had win98.

Likely several other things causing problems, go to msconfic, startup and uncheck whatever junk there is. Make sure you scan for viruses (housecall has an online scanner), and run adaware, and spybot 1.3 in safe mode.
Old 07-16-04, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks Ranger. I will check that out. In the meantime, I got the error message again, and here is exactly what it said:

"Terminating thread due to a stack overflow problem. A VxD, possibly recently installed, has consumed too much stack space. Increase the setting of 'MinSPs' in System.ini or remove recently installed VxDs. There are currently 6 SPs allocated."

I set my Norton sensor to read physical memory available and I have gotten as high as 78 MB with nothing running and as low as .5 MB when I had Spybot running. The only program I've installed recently is the Spybot. Any ideas what is eating up my memory? Right now, with just IE open, I have 1.3 MB available. No wonder everything is so slow.
Old 07-16-04, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's what I have running in my startup. Most of this I have no idea what it even is. What of this stuff do I need?

system tray
norton crashguard monitor
EM_exec (something to do with my mouse)
LV coms
show icon
Nav Defalert
Norton Auto Protect
Norton emailprotect
Share-to-web Namespace Daemon (something to do with printer)
In CD
MF Autorun
IELF32.exe
Symtray-Norton Systemworks
Scheduling agent
CSINJECT.exe
ATLTU.exe
ADDQM32.exe
MFCTN.exe
ATLGG32.exe
CRAH32.exe
ADDMP32.exe
ADDUE32.exe
APPKI32.exe
D3AC.exe
WINEB32.exe
CRIC.exe
JAVAUK.exe
CRYM32.exe
IPHU.exe
WinXX.exe
SYSGW.exe
D3AJ32.exe
NETTq.exe
SYSFJ.exe

Oh hell, this shit goes on and on. I'm unchecking all this stuff that isn't associated with a program I'm familiar with. Is that a good policy? Any idea what all this stuff is? Thanks for the help.
Old 07-16-04, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well that definitely made a huge difference. When I rebooted, I had 150 MB PM available. With IE running, I have 98 MB available now. That still seems a little low with 256 MB installed. Or is that about right?

Is all that stuff spyware? How do I get rid of it?
Old 07-16-04, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd only leave alone system tray and the virus scanner and software firewall and uncheck all the other bloat that comes with systemworks and so on.

With adaware and spybot, make sure uou have updated them before running the scans.

Also maybe use another browser like firefox.
Old 07-17-04, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: VxD error? Stack overflow problem? Please help.

Originally posted by Boot
I am having some serious problems, and I have no idea what to do. I don't even know where to start, so I guess I'll start by saying I'm running Windows 98 on an old Pentium III with 256 MB of RAM. My computer had slowed down to the point where it was hardly worth even getting online. Recently, I downloaded Spybot and Adaware and have run both several times, and it made a huge difference...temporarily. Now, my computer is worse than it has ever been. The latest is that I've gotten a message several times that says something like "Stack overflow problem. A VxD was recently installed. Increase the setting of minimum SPs in system.ini." After this started happening, it's almost as if my memory is just gone. I can't even send out an email now because the computer says I don't have enough memory to do it. When I try to open up a browser, it takes a good five minutes even to respond. I am just at a complete loss for what to do. Can someone please help? Thank you.
Try the following:
When using Win 98:

Click start and then run
Type msconfig in the box and click OK
go to the system.ini tab and hit the + sign next to 386Eng
The 386Eng folder will drop down.
Click on the last entry in will highlight when you do then click the New button on the bottom of the page.
You will get a blank line.
On the line type "MinSps=8" without the "" and hit enter
Click Apply then OK and Yes to reboot. (if your not prompted to reboot do so anyway)

Note, if it exists, add the command MinSPs=4 to this section. This command is case-sensitive. If no [386Enh] section exists, then you must create it and then add the MinSps=8 command directly beneath it.

Download and run HiJackThis, hit the "scan" button, when finished the scan button changes to "Save Log". Save the log to a location on your harddrive. Open the log and copy and paste the contents here at this forum to search for spyware. Also reccomend changing to Mozilla or Firebird (Non-IE) Browser

What version of Norton are you using? (2001).
Check this link
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...3?OpenDocument

Last edited by 68ShelbyGT500KR; 07-17-04 at 12:54 PM.