Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Tivo to DVD, how?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Tivo to DVD, how?

Old 07-16-04, 04:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tivo to DVD, how?

I have a Tivo and I want to figure out a way to put some stuff from it onto my laptop for burning to DVD.

The Tivo has a USB, so I was wondering-- before I go out and buy a USB cable-- will it work for me to conect my laptop to it and move stuff onto my laptop (winXP if it helps).

If not that is there any way to do it?

What about through the TV out and in on a TV tuner card? Although I prefer to keep the source digital as much as possible.

Thanks.
Old 07-16-04, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There's no easy way to extract the digital signal. The USB out won't work as is. You might want to check http://www.tivocommunity.com to answer how to do the "hard" way.

As for a tuner card: yup. I do it all the time. At the DVD quality setting, I really can't complain about the results. I have an ATI AIW card and it works great.
Old 07-16-04, 10:50 AM

Get a replayTV
With my 5000 series ReplayTV, it makes it a breeze to extract MPEGs over my network, and then I just author and burn to DVD.

Do you have a series 1 or series2 Tivo? If you have series2, do you have the home media option?
Old 07-16-04, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by breaux124
Get a replayTV
With my 5000 series ReplayTV, it makes it a breeze to extract MPEGs over my network, and then I just author and burn to DVD.

Do you have a series 1 or series2 Tivo? If you have series2, do you have the home media option?
I second the ReplayTV suggestion... My 5040 is GREAT.. along with DVArchive I can put whatever I want on DVD with NO problems!
Old 07-16-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It won't help shawagg with his tivo issue, but an excellent option for those who wish to avoid this achive problem is wintv pvr250 + sage tv (about $140-160).
http://www.pcalchemy.com/index.php/c...c4701b26100d88

I picked Hauppauge because they use a hardware decoder and don't eat your cpu. Sage will even record shows it thinks you might like (similar to tivo) and best of all, there are no monthly charges. Why pay a monthly charge, lump sum or even worse, have limitations forced on you?

Naturally, you can use any capture card/ pvr software you choose. If you want to know more try these sites and forums:

http://www.htpcnews.com/main.php

http://www.avsforum.com/
Old 07-16-04, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

TiVo has a new service coming out in a couple of months called TiVo To Go which will attach a dongle to the USB port allowing you to copy over the network to your PC.
Old 07-16-04, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Tsar Chasm
TiVo has a new service coming out in a couple of months called TiVo To Go which will attach a dongle to the USB port allowing you to copy over the network to your PC.
And once again, those of us with DirecTiVos are left behind as the world races by.
Old 07-16-04, 05:30 PM

You guys are great!

I guess I'll avoid the trip to buy a USB cable and just send em' out to the laptop via the tuner. Thanks.

That Tivo to Go thing sounds great. I wonder how much they'll charge for it though.

breaux124, it's a serious 2. Spefically it's the SD-400. That Toshiba one with the DVDplayer. The one that BB has on sale all the time now (damn that burns me).

I'm thinking I should just give up on the Tivo for DVD burning and finally read the instuction manual on the Media Center PC. I've had the thing 6 months and still can't figure out how to hook the TV tuner up. lol!

P.S. Chew? What're you complaining about? You basically get the Tivo for free and doesn't DirectTV allow you to upgrade? I'd imagine they just take away the old one and give you a new one. You rent those right?

Later
Old 07-16-04, 08:22 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by shawagg
P.S. Chew? What're you complaining about? You basically get the Tivo for free and doesn't DirectTV allow you to upgrade? I'd imagine they just take away the old one and give you a new one. You rent those right?
DirecTivo doesn't have the HMO option, doesn't have an ethernet port, and has USB ports that aren't active. It it extremely unlikely that it will have Tivo2Go either. Since DirecTV has sold all of its shares in Tivo and is supposedly going to offer its own DVR in the near future (as it did in the UK), the DirecTivo will likely be a fading memory in a couple of years when Tivo's contract with them expires. In fact, if its finances don't improve significantly and if it can't make some deals to get its technology in the DVRs being offered by cable/satellite companies, Tivo itself may also be just a memory in a few years. The reality is that the market for standalone DVRs is simply dying as these cable/satellite companies offer free/cheap alternatives.
Old 07-17-04, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Chew
And once again, those of us with DirecTiVos are left behind as the world races by.
Yeah but I do console myself with the second tuner and lack of compression.
Old 07-18-04, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Tsar Chasm
Not to nitpick, but I believe they have confirmed that the Tivo ToGo will not require a dongle or any other hardware requirements (other than basic network connections of course).
Old 07-19-04, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nah, that's the cable-company. I pretty much own my DirecTiVo and I hardly got it for free: I have an HDTiVo.
Old 07-21-04, 03:13 AM

Oh... I thought you were renting it.... nevermind, but hey it's a HDTivo.
Old 07-21-04, 05:47 AM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh... I thought you were renting it.... nevermind, but hey it's a HDTivo.
...which costs about $1000 right now.
Old 07-21-04, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JM
...which costs about $1000 right now.
And to me has been worth every penny.