Reload this Page >

Tracking Unwitting Virus Senders?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-15-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that most modern viruses use your contact book to send out the payload to everyone in it (and also modifies the from so you can't track the person and tell them to download a friggin' virus scanner). This got me pondering , can you determine, at least from the header information in the e-mail, who the virus may be coming from?

I've been receiving several virus e-mails a day (that are cleaned by my McAfee before reaching my inbox) in an inbox that I don't give out to too many people and thought I may be able to slap some sense into someone if I could figure out who it was. Thanks,
Old 07-15-04, 05:08 PM
Mod Emeritus

If you examine the message headers, it should show the originating IP address of the infected system.
Old 07-15-04, 05:22 PM

Unfortunately the latest strain of the w32 may even be sent out by your domain. The more recent strains have been so good at spoofing addresses if your email is Joe at Blow.net you may get a 100 a day from Admin, mod or owner at Blow.net. Many may be sent out by actual addresses, but it is hard to decipher if even the ones coming from legit usernames and domains were actually sent from hacked or infected accounts or just spoofed ones.

Last edited by rlwyld1; 07-15-04 at 05:30 PM.