DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Tech Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk-10/)
-   -   FireFox Users, what extensions do you use? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk/374945-firefox-users-what-extensions-do-you-use.html)

Brain Stew 07-15-04 02:08 PM

FireFox Users, what extensions do you use?

I have recently started using FireFox for all my browsing and I have fallen in love with the ability to customize just about everything. Part of the great customization is the ability to use extensions. Here are the ones I use:

1. Googlebar
2. Adblock
3. DownloadManagerTweak
4. Singlewindow
5. Downloadscan
6. OpenBook

Which ones do you use?

Lampei 07-15-04 02:34 PM

All-In-One Gestures (fantastic...definitely try it if you haven't already)
Web Developer 0.8
Single Window
FoxAmp
Undoclosetab
ReloadEvery
BugMeNot
CloseTabOnDoubleClick
FLST (Focus Last Tab Selected)
Hide Searchbar (manually modified search to allow google searching from address bar instead of google bar)
SuperDragAndGo (great for dragging and dropping links anywhere on a page to open it in a new tab, plus drag and drop highlighted text to do a google search of that text which also opens in a new tab :) )
Also, several manual changes in about:config

Xanager 07-15-04 02:52 PM

Tabbrowser Preferences
SessionSaver - excellent
All-In-One Mouse Gestures - excellent
miniT
IEView
TabX
undoclosetab

Brain Stew 07-15-04 03:17 PM

What's so great abou AIO Mouse Gestures if I may ask?

I hear people raving about it constantly. What does it do?

Xanager 07-15-04 03:38 PM

A "gesture" is when you hold down the right mouse button and move the mouse in a predetermined pattern. These patterns can be set to make the browser do various things.

For instance, you can move your mouse to the right and it goes forward. Move your mouse up to open a new tab, down to close a tab. Move it up and then down to refresh, etc etc.

You can set the gestures to do whatever you want. This will allow you to browse so much faster once you get used to it.

AIO

RalphWiggum 07-15-04 03:40 PM

Originally posted by Brain Stew
What's so great abou AIO Mouse Gestures if I may ask?

I hear people raving about it constantly. What does it do?

It makes navigating easier. I didn't really understand the raves myself until I installed it and tried it. Now I love it!

Lampei 07-15-04 03:53 PM

Only problem with it is you'll try to use gestures for everything after that...explorer windows, friends' browser windows. Very frustrating when someone doesn't have it installed :)

TexasGuy 07-15-04 05:15 PM

I don't have many yet, but:

Googlebar
Image Zoom
Cookie Culler

bigsoos 07-15-04 05:21 PM

I just started using FireFox and I like it a lot, but it can't play music off of Launch.yahoo.com. What's up with that?

eedoon 07-16-04 02:10 AM

BB Code
All In One Mouse Gesture
Tab Scroller

That's what I got so far.

TexasGuy 07-16-04 02:26 AM

Based on the recommendations here, I added:

All-in-One Gestures - Very impressed, this is going to change my browsing immensely.
SuperDragAndGo - Equally impressed. Combining with AIO will be awesome.
SingleWindow - nice feature that should have been standard

Thanks!

wmansir 07-16-04 02:46 AM

Adblock - V. Good.
Flashblock - Excellent.
Single Window - Don't really need it with TabExt, but I can't remove it.
Bookmark Links Checker - Don't use it much, but useful when you decide to weed bookmarks.
IEview - Great for non-standard pages.
Tabbrowser Ext. - Excellent, highly recommended.
CuteMenus - I like it, but adds no fuctionality.
Show Old Extensions - needed until all my exts are updated to .9 format.
DictionarySearch - Very useful, can use 4 search engines.
Trivial - Adds a couple of useful buttons.
Sage - better RSS reader
SearchButton - Gives a search button, which I like, since I often paste and click.
ChromeEdit - good for customizing config files.
SpellBound - Nice, like iespell.
BBCode - just installed it, but I love it so far, very useful.

I have a mouse with extra buttons so I don't use mouse gestures.

Xanager 07-16-04 10:09 AM

Originally posted by wmansir
I have a mouse with extra buttons so I don't use mouse gestures.
My mouse has extra buttons that I use for forward and back, but AIO even gives more functionality. Reload, Increment URL, Duplicate Tab, Minimize, Maximize, View Cookies, etc. The thing I like the most is being able to hold the right mouse and use the scroll wheel to scroll through tabs.

lxl 07-16-04 06:15 PM

only one: adblock, it's excellent.

duz 07-17-04 04:07 PM

adBlock and bugmenot, I rarely use bugmenot tho, It's just for the times I'm looking up news

Gunshy 07-19-04 02:32 AM

Adblock, adblock, adblock. This extension and Firefox growing in popularity could change the Internet as we know it.

IE what? ;)

-Gunshy

RandyC 07-19-04 02:54 AM

A little help here... how can I get my bookmarks to stay docked somewhere like they were in IE?

TexasGuy 07-19-04 03:26 AM

Originally posted by RandyC
A little help here... how can I get my bookmarks to stay docked somewhere like they were in IE?
Are you talking about in a toolbar? If so, add them to your "Bookmarks Toolbar Folder".