Reload this Page >

USENET - OE has removed access to the following usafe attachment

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-15-04, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I try to combine and decode, I get the following message EVERY TIME for EVERY file:

OE has removed access to the following unsafe attachment.

I can see this happening for some files, but NOT EVERY file I try to combine and decode.

Any ideas??
Old 07-15-04, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In an effort to keep novices from doing stupid things, Outlook Express blocks any attachment that could potentially be a virus.

Here are steps to remove the protection. Use at your own risk. These steps may vary slightly depending on your version of OE.

- Start Outlook Express
- Select Options off the Tools menu
- Click the Security tab
- Under Virus Protection, uncheck the box labeled "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus".
- Click OK
Old 07-15-04, 10:18 AM

Are you using Newsgroups to download or to read? In either case I would recommend trying another program.

If you are downloading binnaries:
- For a beginner use Grab-it
- For more advanced use Newsbin Pro

If you are just reading then Outlook Express is ok, but I would try something like Forte Agent or Xnews
Old 07-15-04, 07:05 PM

If you are just reading message posts and not actually downloading files then groups.google.com is an even better bet. Simple, searchable, and goes back forever.

In another post earlier, breaux124 also recommended Newsbin Pro, which I'm gonna check out tonight. I've gotten somewhat lazy in that I've used Forte Agent since forever, and for all I know Newsbin runs circles around it. However, with just a little work Agent is very useful. Personally, OE is one of the worst alternatives. Googlegroups for messages, anything but OE for binaries.
Old 07-15-04, 11:37 PM

XNews is another good one for reading or downloading. It supports yenc, has less problems with multi part binaries and best of all is FREE at download.com just grab it there. OE is fine for reading email and even downloading smaller files from email or the newsgroups, but if you want to get serious you have to get real tools. OE is pretty much useless and a joke when it comes to newsreading. It may get the job done, but you will spend twice as much time to get half of what you want.