Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Need accounting software recommendation

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-14-04, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brother has his own business and has used Quickbooks since about 1999. Because Intuit is basically forcing us to spend $400 every two years to upgrade (or the tax info won't be updated) I think it's about time he tries another app.
Any small business owners have any recommendations? We need it to do the the following:
* Invoicing
* Accounts Receivable/Payable
* Payroll (~50 Employees)
* Print checks (for payroll and ap) & Invoices
* Basic reporting (amt. owed per customer/total/etc) - if it can export to xls or csv even better

It needs to be multi-user (like QB Pro) where the company data is only on one computer, but two people can work on it at the same time through the network (eg: secretary doing invoices on her PC why my bro does payroll on his). I don't care about online invoicing or anything like that. No need for inventory features since it's a service-oriented business.

Any ideas? Needs to run on WinXP.
Old 07-14-04, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What's his budget?

Disclosure: My company makes software that does all of this, but I don't think we're in your price range.

I know almost nothing of Quickbooks, but is it really not possible to work around the tax updating info? (E.g., updating it manually, etc.)
Old 07-14-04, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What about Peachtree?
Old 07-14-04, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Usually you can get either Quickbooks or Peachtree on the cheap at Staples. Might be last year's version, but that shouldn't be too bad. Check fatwallet.
Old 07-15-04, 05:39 PM

Budget of about $400-500... I'll check out Peachtree Accounting... I had heard of it but I thought it was a more complex product... sounds like it's just like QB and more or less the same price range. Plus it has a conversion tool to go from quickbooks so that's a plus!