Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Problem with video card!?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-13-04, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so my brother was working my computer this past weekend (I was away in Vegas, yeah baby!) and all of a sudden the computer shut itself down. Since that time, the computer will boot up to the Windows XP splash screen, but once it tries to get past that, the screen goes blank and nothing happens. If i try to reboot, I get a message saying that the computer wasn't shut down properly and do I want to boot in safe mode. I booted into safe mode and it says that the computer has recovered from a serious error and it notes the video card as being the problem (I have a Radeon 9700). I uninstalled the video drivers in safe mode and the computer booted up properly. But everytime I try to reinstall the drivers, I run into the same problem of the computer not booting properly. I've tried older drivers, I've tried using system restore, I've even tried a new hard drive and reformatted, but that hasn't worked either. So now I'm thinking there's something physically wrong with the card, but looking at it, nothing seems to be wrong. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-13-04, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is this a name brand computer? If so, make sure that you disable the on-board video in the BIOS.

Follow the installation instructions of the video card. You may also want to try to download the current drivers from the Vid Card web site
Old 07-13-04, 09:28 PM

No, it's a home-built computer. There is no on-board video and I've tried the most recent video drivers as well as previous drivers 3 times older.
Old 07-13-04, 09:52 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You might get the driver cleaner from ATI's site and start off fresh again.
Old 07-14-04, 11:23 AM

Ok, so I figured that there's something physically wrong with the video card, as I swapped it into another computer and it caused the same problems.

So now I'm in the market for a new video card, something in the $250 or less price range. What do you guys recommend? My last card was the ATI, but before that I had all N'vidia cards. I'm thinking of going back to N'vidia cards cause I had far less problems. What are some good cards in my price range?
Old 07-14-04, 03:04 PM

Before you go back to nVidia, you should be aware of a generic problem with horizontal gray lines appearing, along with a washed out look. Just happened to mine recently (card was 3.5 years old). Doing some internet searching I found this thread:

http://www.nocrash.com/ncbbs/msgs/157.shtml
Old 07-14-04, 03:19 PM

Interesting, but I do see any mention of this happening with the newer cards. Seems more prone to happen with cards at least 2 years old. Anyone have this problem with one of the newer cards (i.e. 5600 or 5900 cards)?
Old 07-15-04, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is your card Built By ATI? If so you may be still under warranty.