Reload this Page >

XP SP2 to be released in August

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-12-04, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found this from another board. About time.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...oft_windows_dc
Microsoft Windows Update Set for Aug., After Delay

SEATTLE (Reuters) - A major update to Windows XP (news - web sites), offering security enhancements and better stability, will be available for download and on CD-ROMs from August, two months after its originally scheduled date, Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq:MSFT - news) said on Monday.

The world's largest software maker had originally aimed to release the update, called Service Pack 2, in June.

Mike Nash, Microsoft vice president for security, said that his group needed more time to ensure that the update was stable and would work with other programs when installed on personal computers running Windows XP, the latest version of the operating system found on more than 90 percent of the world's PCs.

Redmond, Washington-based Microsoft has made it a top priority to improve the security and reliability of its software, after Chairman Bill Gates (news - web sites) launched its "Trustworthy Computing" initiative in a companywide memo in early 2002.

"We will be proactive in having enterprise move to Windows XP and Service Pack 2," Nash said, adding that new computers sold from this fall would start to feature Windows with Service Pack 2 already installed.

Major worms, such as Blaster and MyDoom, have exploited flaws in Windows, causing computers to crash and putting them at risk of data loss, highlighting the challenge that Microsoft has in making its flagship product more secure.

The update will be available to customers for free over the Internet and can also be installed with CD-ROMs. Service Pack 2 for Windows XP Home Edition will be about 70 megabytes and the update for Windows XP Professional will be about 92 megabytes, Nash said.
Old 07-13-04, 08:22 AM

Thanks for the news. I was wondering when they were going to release SP2.
Old 07-13-04, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have SP2 deployed on several of my machines and have been happy with it so far. The only issue I've had is Symantec Antivirus Corporate not being recognized.
Old 07-14-04, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i loaded the latest beta sp2 on my laptop and started experiencing numerous problems with our vpn software and my wireless accessibility. i had no problems with the corporate version of symantec antivirus.

i did, however, like the changes to i.e. the built in pop up blocker is nice.

i had to roll it back off though as i couldn't work from home with it installed.
Old 07-14-04, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

the problems you experienced may have been due to the higher security settings. MS decided to write a bunch of scripts to change default security settings.
Old 07-14-04, 06:57 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i have had Sp2 running on 2 pcs for months now with no problem.
Old 07-14-04, 07:47 PM

Where did you guys get your copies of SP2? It available for D/L yet?
Old 07-14-04, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...p2preview.mspx

??