Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Please help, Outlook express problem

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-12-04, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, i have had a problem for past 6 months. My outlook express 6 will receive messages and all but the one thing it wont do is show the actual message. When i hold the mouse over where the writing should be , the hour glass logo comes up. It will stay there and the message wont load. I tried exporting and re-importing didnt work.
So for past 6 months ive had to go to hotmail.com to check email and thats getting annoying now because sometimes it will be too buisy for me to log in.
Im running windows 2000, 800mhz amd, 40gb, 292mb sdram, have norton antivirus. Ive downloaded all the updates and patches i can think of. Im thinking it must be missing file or script error thats preventing me from seeing the message. Even when i double click the message it will open new window but there wont be any text just hour glass , as if its loading. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-12-04, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

First check in OE. Click View | Current View and be sure it is set to "Show All Messages". Also verify that "Show replies to my messages" is not checked or you will see only replies to your messages.

2nd Check If Norton is set to scanning incoming/outgoing E-mail, if so disable it and send yourself a message with the hotmail account to see if tht is the culprit.

3rd. your inbox.dbx file may be corrupted (just a guess).

Check the first 2 items and report back.
Are these just text files or do they have an attachment with them?
Old 07-13-04, 11:54 AM

Thanks for reply, I just tried those 3 and all three didnt work. I read that the inbox.dbz file is usually the problem from other people as well and tried deleting it a few time and it still doesnt work. I cant read any text messages, attachments, regular messages, outbox, junk, or sent.
Old 07-13-04, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You may have a corrupt identity.
You can Create a new identirty via File>Identities>Add new identity.After creating the new identity with your mail account information(server, username and password etc..) send an e-mail from yahoo or msn to the new outlook express account (if you have it) and see if the problem goes away.

Also, read the following article
http://www.mindspring.com/~oe_oh/identities2.htm

Last edited by 68ShelbyGT500KR; 07-13-04 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-15-04, 10:00 PM

nah that didnt work either, ahhh ill just stick to online. I gave up on this, thank you very much for all your help, but I tried them but no avail.
Old 07-15-04, 11:21 PM

Have you tried a clean reinstall? I had similar problems especially viewing sub-folders such as the trash bin. It turned out the problem was with conflicting software some where. Grab your windows disc, export your address and account files, uninstall and then reinstall OE. If that doesn't work I would venture to guess that you have something wrong with your pc and may need someone to look inti it.