Reload this Page >

Looking for old school BASIC interpreter

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-12-04, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My kids have expressed interest in learning how to program, so I thought I'd start them how I started.

I found a 1982 computer programming book at the library, using BASIC with the line numbers. You remember...

10 print "Poop!"
20 Goto 10

However, all I can find for BASIC on modern windows is Visual Basic style that looks more like Java and C++.

Does anybody know of a old school BASIC interpreter that'll run under Windows 2k/XP? Command line is fine.
Old 07-12-04, 05:16 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The program gwbasic.exe that came with old versions of DOS will do what you want. I just tried it with Win2K Server.
Old 07-12-04, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Get a C64.
Old 07-12-04, 05:27 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wouldn't start them with BASIC anyway. It teaches bad programming habits that may be hard to break--spaghetti code, goto's, etc.
Old 07-12-04, 11:06 PM

OK, got any recommendations for teaching seven year olds programming?
Old 07-13-04, 03:55 AM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why not C++? Just start them with basic ANSI C++ DOS or Win32 console programs (i.e. text based). It isn't really any more difficult than BASIC for simple stuff. The benefit of C++ is that it can get as advanced as you/they want it to be, whereas the limitations of BASIC will become a problem fairly quickly. Also, C++ would provide them a solid foundation upon which to add GUI stuff later without starting over from scratch.
Old 07-13-04, 05:29 AM

I thought BASIC would be easier to start with, to get them used to the basic logic contructs (FOR loops, IF/ELSE structures) and then move on to maybe C. OOP might be too much for them right now.
Old 07-13-04, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

C++ facilitates, but doesn't require OOP. If you just think of it as some extensions to C, it is not much different than learning BASIC except you have the step of compiling the program. Then they are learning a language extensible in the future.

There is a pretty good free C++ compiler called Bloodshed C++ compiler, just Google. Not a very good "marketing" name; I think the guy is trying to say it was a pain to write. It is not terribly well documented (like many free programs) but enough to get you started. You'll need a book explaining C++ though, it is not a tutorial. It assumes you are familiar with C++ and just explains itself. It's the right price though.