Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Help with a dell laptop

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Help with a dell laptop

Old 07-12-04, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with a dell laptop

My dumb rear just spilled coke on my wife's laptop and it killed it I think. She has the three yr warranty from Dell. Will they fix it or am I gonna have to shell out for a new laptop? Thanks for any replies
Old 07-12-04, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk God

they wont fix it if you tell them you spilled coke it in
or if they find coke in it

although, nothing says the coke still has to be in it, when they send someone to repair
Old 07-12-04, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've got a Dell Inspiron 5100, and with 60 days left on the one year warranty, I spilled half a huge glass of diet coke right into the keyboard. Fried the motherboard.

So, I completely disassembled the computer, washed out all the coke residue with hot water (no soap, just hot water), and let completely dry before reassembling. Still didn't work, so I called Dell. Didn't tell them that I dumped Coke into the laptop, just that it wouldn't boot up.

They had my laptop back to me within a week with a replaced motherboard.

For the price we paid for these laptops and the warranty, damn right I'm gonna take advantage of it.
Old 07-12-04, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Help with a dell laptop

Originally posted by gr8fuldave
My dumb rear just spilled coke on my wife's laptop and it killed it I think. She has the three yr warranty from Dell. Will they fix it or am I gonna have to shell out for a new laptop? Thanks for any replies
do you have that complete care deal where they say that they are going to replace it even if you throw it out of the window? i would do what the other person said. clean it out, dry it and put it back together. just be careful and don't lose any parts.
Old 07-12-04, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After getting replaced, check with your insurance agent about getting a floater policy for it. Very reasonable and no deductible (or low deductible). Best buy in insurance IMHO. Covers mobile items for issues then your HO policy would.

Got one covering my laptop, ski equipment, camera equipment, wife jewel's, golf equipment, etc, etc.
Old 07-12-04, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had a Winbook XL a few years back that I spilled orange soda on. I played dumb with tech support and told them my keyboard just stopped working. I had dried it out pretty good but it was shorted out. They replaced it, no qeustions asked.
Old 07-13-04, 01:33 AM

Thanks folks for all the replies. I'm not gonna tell em about the coke, as there wasn't that much spilled into it. I am gonna check about the floater policy.