DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with DVD I'm trying to create

Using Windows XP Pro, SP1
Optorite DD0203 4x dual writer
PC is a DELL 4600, 2.6GHz, 512MB RAM, 160MB HD
BeALL and Ritek G04 Media
Sonic MyDVD 4.5 Software

I created a photo slideshow and home video (from Digial camcorder) DVD using Sonic's MyDVD (versino 4.5). I outputed this to a "DVD folder" where several files were written, including the Audio_TS and Video_TS folders. The Audio_TS folder is empty. I then burn these two folders onto a DVD using my Optorite DD0203 4x dual writer.

When I play the DVD on several stand alone players, the video appears to work fine in most cases, with the menu coming up just fine, even playing the background music. However, when I play any of the slideshows, I notice that the associated music plays but will skip throughout, almost like a scratched LP being played. I've tried this on a couple of different recommened media (BeAll and Ritek) for the writer and at 2X writing. Each time, its the same! The video from the Camcorder however, plays just fine in every case.

Now here the really weird part...the first DVD I ever created using this project appeared to have worked just fine and worked in my stand alone DVD player....I then lend it out to my parents and brother and neither of their players would play it properly....no big deal I though, maybe their players aren't compatible....I brought the DVD back home and I had the same problems...yet just a couple of weeks ago, no problems!

HELP!!!!!!!

Any thoughts? The only thing I haven't done is to recreate the whole project...only because I spent so much time on it. Also, I not sure if the mixture of video and photo slideshows is throwing it all off!

The whole project plays fine using PowerDVD and accessing the files from the Hard Drive.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated! Thanks!!!!!!

Last edited by ngp; 07-12-04 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-12-04, 08:03 PM

Get better media. I find Memorex +r work great on my players and those who I loan disks to. I've used many noname lowend media and have had similar experiences to you (they work one day and not the next).
Old 07-12-04, 09:25 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by TLamm
Get better media. I find Memorex +r work great on my players and those who I loan disks to. I've used many noname lowend media and have had similar experiences to you (they work one day and not the next).
But both the Ritek and the BeAll are supposed to be great for the burner I have. Besides, its pretty consistant. I just did another burn using Nero and everything works but the photo slideshows have a music skipping one in a bit (very little) like a scratched CD or LP.
Old 07-13-04, 10:50 AM

What did you use to burn it? When you make a DVD video ALL the files must be in the VIDEO_TS folder, NO other folders must be in there.

Good: VIDEO_TS\Video1.ifo
NOT: VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS\Video1.ifo

Make sure that DVD-ROM book Type is use, this will increase playback compatibility over multiple dvd units. You can check out www.videohelp.com and look up the model number of your dvd units and see what media it will playback.
I use Ritek G04's and I've never had any problems with them in many, many different dvd players.
Old 07-13-04, 12:27 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by breaux124
What did you use to burn it? When you make a DVD video ALL the files must be in the VIDEO_TS folder, NO other folders must be in there.

Good: VIDEO_TS\Video1.ifo
NOT: VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS\Video1.ifo

Make sure that DVD-ROM book Type is use, this will increase playback compatibility over multiple dvd units. You can check out www.videohelp.com and look up the model number of your dvd units and see what media it will playback.
I use Ritek G04's and I've never had any problems with them in many, many different dvd players.
He Breaux124,

All of that check out. I'm also using the Ritek G04's for one of the media types. I'm beginning to think that there may be an issue with mixing photo slideshows and video from a camcorder.
Old 07-13-04, 02:54 PM

I'm not sure about Sonic's product (but I can ask some friend's who work for Sonic if there are any known issues).
I've always used Ulead DVD MovieFactory or DVD-lab.

You do create Video_ts folders first and then burn, right? If so, you should be able to use the software DVD player on your computer and test the Video_TS folder first before you burn. This way you can narrow down the problem. I always test my DVD creations with PowerDVD before I burn with Nero, just a quick easy step that can save time and headaches.
Old 07-13-04, 03:41 PM

This may work for you, but I'm running a mac:

Was your music file mp3? If so, you should convert it to aiff or wav before importing it into the slideshow. At least that's what works on my mac.
Old 07-13-04, 04:00 PM
toq

You do create Video_ts folders first and then burn, right? If so, you should be able to use the software DVD player on your computer and test the Video_TS folder first before you burn. This way you can narrow down the problem. I always test my DVD creations with PowerDVD before I burn with Nero, just a quick easy step that can save time and headaches.
It's not my intention to sound rude but ngp did mention that fact in the original post.
Originally posted by ngp
The whole project plays fine using PowerDVD and accessing the files from the Hard Drive.
Old 07-13-04, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by toq
It's not my intention to sound rude but ngp did mention that fact in the original post.
"Last edited by ngp on 07-12-04 at 01:28 PM"
His original post didn't mention this, and I didn't re-read the first post - only his reply
Old 07-13-04, 05:27 PM
toq

Hey, no problem. Just figured I'd point it out in case you missed it.
Old 07-13-04, 06:12 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I tried playing from the Vido_TS folder and everything plays fine, which is what really seems weird. I've now tried different media, different speeds of burning, and different software (Sonic, Roxio, and Nero). Jkester makes a good point...I did use MP3s as the source for the audio tracks. I'll try and converting them to WAV and then importing them in...

Also, I wondering if the mixture of slideshows and video from the camcorder could be an issue.

Any freeware out there for converting form MP3 to WAV? As you can see, this is all new to me! Thanks!
Old 07-13-04, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
winamp will convert mp3 to wav
that's what I'd use when making an audio mix cd then burn with nero after making the wavs
Old 07-13-04, 11:41 PM

Audacity should take care of most audio needs you have. You can find it at Sourceforge.
Old 07-14-04, 07:12 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I "discovered" that I had CDEx installed and used that to do the conversion from MP3 to WAV and reassociated the music files on the slideshows. As I was leaving the house this morning, I began a new burn...I'll keep you guys posted tonight as to what the result is! Thanks for staying with me on this gang!
Old 07-15-04, 06:59 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Failed again....got errors twice yesterday.
I think that I am now resigned to purchasing a new drive altogether! The NEC 2500A is looking mighty tempting about now!

Thanks everyone for trying!
Old 07-15-04, 10:10 AM

In a last ditch effort you could try updating the software on your DVD drive.
www.rpc1.org
Old 07-15-04, 12:29 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In a last ditch effort you could try updating the software on your DVD drive.
www.rpc1.org
Yeah, I tried that...unfortunately, no luck!
Thanks though...
Old 07-15-04, 05:33 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ngp
Failed again....got errors twice yesterday.
I think that I am now resigned to purchasing a new drive altogether! The NEC 2500A is looking mighty tempting about now!

Thanks everyone for trying!
I'd say it is far more likely that the problem is with the DVD Authoring software you are using than with your drive. Sonic MyDVD, particularly the older v4.5 you have, is not very good from the comments I have read (see http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=342#comments). You might have better luck with different software. DVD-Lab is the best IMO.
Old 07-15-04, 05:50 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by JM
I'd say it is far more likely that the problem is with the DVD Authoring software you are using than with your drive. Sonic MyDVD, particularly the older v4.5 you have, is not very good from the comments I have read (see http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=342#comments). You might have better luck with different software. DVD-Lab is the best IMO.
Hey JM,
Good point. The reason I've been using Sonic is that it came with the drive and therefore, it was free and also that it was very simple (which is good for me) to use and put a DVD together with. I noticed that DVD-lab basic is around $99 or so. Is there any comparable lower cost software or even freeware out there that you know of?
Old 07-15-04, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by ngp
I noticed that DVD-lab basic is around $99 or so. Is there any comparable lower cost software or even freeware out there that you know of?
I believe there is a 30 day trial for DVD Lab, so you can try before you buy.
Old 07-15-04, 07:04 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ngp
Hey JM,
Good point. The reason I've been using Sonic is that it came with the drive and therefore, it was free and also that it was very simple (which is good for me) to use and put a DVD together with. I noticed that DVD-lab basic is around $99 or so. Is there any comparable lower cost software or even freeware out there that you know of?
DVD-Lab is a little bit different from MyDVD in that it gives you complete control over the DVD Authoring process. You can use it to create the same level of complexity in menus etc. that you see with commercial DVDs (things that MyDVD and similar products just can't do). However, even with all the advanced features, it remains easy to use for the basic stuff IMO. At $99, DVD-Lab is actually a *very* good deal. It has most of the advanced features the commercial DVD authoring apps like DVD Maestro (now defunct) and Sonic Scenarist have. These latter programs cost thousands of dollars (the full version of Scenarist is ~$25,000). For what you can do with it, at $99 DVD-Lab really has no peers.

If you need a little more hand holding at the cost of flexibility, you might want to check out Ulead's various products. Many people like them, and I believe there are trials versions available. TMPGEnc DVD Author is reportedly decent as well. Another one to look at would be NeroVison Express.

There just aren't any very advanced yet user-friendly free DVD authoring solutions yet. There are some free command-line based tools, and some GUIs that support them. However, the ease-of-use you seem to be looking for sin't likely to be there (yet?).
Old 07-15-04, 10:24 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

JM,
One question on DVD-Lab...I just downloaded it and am trying it out...I'm trying to take a camcorder movie (in AVI format) but it doesn't appear to recognize in DVD-Lab...do I need to convert it to something or do I need an add-in of some type? Thaks.
Old 07-16-04, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by ngp
JM,
One question on DVD-Lab...I just downloaded it and am trying it out...I'm trying to take a camcorder movie (in AVI format) but it doesn't appear to recognize in DVD-Lab...do I need to convert it to something or do I need an add-in of some type? Thaks.
DVD-Lab does not include any type of encoder. which means it only works with MPEG-2 compliant streams. So first you would have to convert it to DVD spec MPEG-2. I'd use TMPGenc, it one of the best and pretty cheap.
Old 07-16-04, 11:17 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

cool, I'll give that a try.