Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Is there any advantage to partitioning a 250GB drive?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-12-04, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to get a 250GB drive and was wondering if it's OK to leave it as one big drive. What are the advantages to partitioning (like defragmenting)? Thx.
Old 07-12-04, 12:00 PM

faster access time. i've got my 160GB split 4 ways, works great.
Old 07-12-04, 12:06 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Depends on what you're doing with it. Care to elaborate?
Old 07-12-04, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Make sure your system can handle a 250GB drive. I just had a user install one and he could only get 128GB due to it being an older system. You might have to upgrade your BIOS inorder to use the drive.

If you just storing data, then I don't see to many reasons to partition it.
Old 07-12-04, 12:57 PM

If it's a main drive: I like to partition into two sections - 1 for OS and 1 for Data. If it's only a data drive, then it's up to you.
I used to partition data drives, but then if I run out of space I have to move data to a different partition then I originally intended. So now I just use max size data drives.

I would format to NTFS (but you probably already knew that, unless you are using win98/Me ).
Old 07-12-04, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the info so far. I got a DV camera as well, so I want to use this drive to store and edit my home videos. The 250GB drive will be just for the data since I'm keeping my main 80GB drive as it is with the OS on it. I'm not sure how big these video files can get so I'm afraid if I break down into partitions I might run out of room within them.

My comp is a 2.4ghz P4, 1gig of RAM with XP Home and is about a year old. Will this accept the large hard drive size?
Old 07-12-04, 02:02 PM
lxl

the bigger the partition is, the more disk space wasted (due to the block size)
Old 07-12-04, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by sureAV421
faster access time. i've got my 160GB split 4 ways, works great.
How do you get faster access time? The disk always spins at 7200rpm, you've always got 8MB cache, etc.
Old 07-12-04, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk God

there might be a slight speed gain recognized from using the smaller clusters that you would gain from using multiple partitions..
but really, you arent looking at a noticeable difference

if this is just a storage drive.. you are just as well off leaving it as a single partition

really, for your case, the only reason I could see you creating multiple partitions would be if you wanted to do it for organization..

Now, if you were using it as your system drive, or to load apps... people have their own opinions on if your system install should be on a single partition, applications on another, data on another, etc... and this is generally done to make life easier if a format is necessary, if some data is more secure than others, etc..

one thing I do suggest though.. if you plan to use part of this drive to create a sizeable page file to increase your system performance.. I generally recommend putting your primary page file on its own partition.
Old 07-12-04, 03:02 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by danw
How do you get faster access time? The disk always spins at 7200rpm, you've always got 8MB cache, etc.
You would get faster access times within each partition as the directory for that partition and the files are closer to each other.

Since this drive is going to be used for large video files I would leave it as one big drive. You could up the sector size from the default though.

XP Home with SP1 installed will handle the drive just fine.
Old 07-12-04, 03:13 PM

I partition primarily for organization. I find it also makes it easier to manage my schedule of virus scanning, defrags, etc.

I have four hard drives in my system, each over 100 GB, with partitions organized as follows:
1. Operating System
2. Programs
3. Critical data (work files, etc.)
4. Games
5. MP3's, other music
6. Photos and photo editing (a hobby)
7. Video files (mostly for editing home movies)
8. Backups and archives