Reload this Page >

Low on Virtual Memory?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Low on Virtual Memory?

Old 07-10-04, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low on Virtual Memory?

I just got this error for the first time today and not quite sure why. I didn't have a lot of programs running, nor, when checking my task manager did I have any programs eating up a lot of memory.

I have plenty of space available on my C: drive and I really don't know why the virtual memory warning would pop up (I'm on Windows 2000).

But anyways, I've never had that error before and just last week I upped my RAM from 512 to 1024, so could that possibly be the problem - bad RAM (doubtful as far as I'm thinking, but worth asking)...

Also, just before that error popped up, whenever I minimized a window, Win2k would hang for 5-10 seconds before doing anything else, so I'm not sure what's up. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-10-04, 03:16 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You have to look in the Task Manager to find out what process is hogging all the memory. It could be IE that's running some ActiveX crap.
Old 07-10-04, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

NewEgg has a deal on virtual memory right now, you might want to buy some.
Old 07-10-04, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by X
You have to look in the Task Manager to find out what process is hogging all the memory. It could be IE that's running some ActiveX crap.
Don't run IE.
Old 07-10-04, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Off My Computer... Advanced Tab...Performance..Settings...Advanced...see Virtual Memory at the bottom. What is it set for here? Usually it can be at least 1 1/2 times your RAM.

I have set Initial and Maximum size to the same number and had good results.
Old 07-11-04, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Preacher
Off My Computer... Advanced Tab...Performance..Settings...Advanced...see Virtual Memory at the bottom. What is it set for here? Usually it can be at least 1 1/2 times your RAM.

I have set Initial and Maximum size to the same number and had good results.

If you have a 2nd hard drive set the pagefile to be on that 2nd drive...poor man's RAID.
Old 07-11-04, 12:32 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You still should see what's using up the memory. In my opinion that's a lot safer than just giving it more memory since you may find something doing something that it shouldn't be doing. Or something.
Old 07-11-04, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I use Statbar, so I can always monitor my RAM usage and it never strays that high usually. The biggest users are Firefox and Mailwasher and everhting else is sub-20,000 K in usage. When I got the error, my RAM usage was right at about 1/2 so I don't see that being the problem. I'll try and increase it a bit - it's probably a result of my additional RAM added last week without increasing the virtual memory.