Reload this Page >

MP3 car adaptors?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

MP3 car adaptors?

Old 07-10-04, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MP3 car adaptors?

Are MP3 car adaptors a pain the butt? I remember back in the late 80's using a CD adaptor and if memory serves correct you could hear the tape player spinning... just a tad bit annoying.

I'm thinking of buying an MP3 CD player mainly to listen to tunes in my car. Not yet ready for an iPod or hard drive player ($$$).
Old 07-10-04, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You could buy a regular cd player with an external line in. Then buy a portable mp3 player and hook it to the headphone jack. Or buy one that plays mp3s off CD-Rs. Are you talking about a cassette adapter?. They run about $10-$20. I have the iPlay they sell at compusa. When hooked up to my iRiver 190T it sounds exactly like my regular burned cd's(burned mp3 .wav files). I can't hear mine spin, I have a decent bose cd/cassette player combo.
Old 07-10-04, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My friend has an FM transmitter by Belkin that he uses with his iPod. I think it works well.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....1&type=product
Old 07-11-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thank you both. Alvis, that's fascinating. Didn't realize there was a device like that that would be affordable. I have a '99 Accord and was kind of surprised when I bought it that it came with a cassette player along with the CD. I'll check into both these options.
Old 07-11-04, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd just buy an MP3 CD player for the car. I love my Kenwood which not only lets me listen to Sirius, but it also plays MP3 CDs, and, though I know I could rip at a lower quality, I rip at APX in EAC and can fit 6 CDs onto one disc and it's awesome.

The player is also HD-Radio upgradeable, but I couldn't see the use of that after living with Sirius for so long. The best thing though is it reads the ID3 tags and displays Artist / Title for every MP3 it plays.

Old 07-12-04, 03:32 PM

I second Blake's idea. My BF has a deck like the one above, but its also got a standard headphone type jack that I can connect my MP3 player to and get the sound through the car stereo system. Also works great with my laptop.