Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Epson Printer (C80) won't print black - waste brand new ink carts with cleaning util

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Epson Printer (C80) won't print black - waste brand new ink carts with cleaning util

Old 07-09-04, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So after 30-40 cleanings, my Epson still refuses to print black. The color cleaned up just fine, but black just won't. Haven't used it in a long time, but I mean - what the hell? I like Epson printers because the print quality is good, but the way they dry out when not in use for awhile and you have to waste mass amounts of ink cleaning the heads is pissing me off. Do you think I could get Epson to reimburse me for brand new ink that is now empty because of the head cleaning utility? What can I do to get it to print black? Is there a way I can manually just clean it or take it apart? I'm angry.
Old 07-10-04, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like the print quality of Epson printers when they work too, but you just discovered why I switched to Canon and won't look back.
Old 07-10-04, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

All cartridges have an expiry date on them. Along with that if this issue has occurred for you it probably has for others. Talk or email them and explain this and you may be pleased with the result. They do dry out with no use and should be stored in a sealable container if you know that is the way it will be.
Old 07-11-04, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
I like the print quality of Epson printers when they work too, but you just discovered why I switched to Canon and won't look back.
I didn't just discover this though... this is my 3rd Epson printer and I've had this problem with all of them. Although, in the past 20 head cleanings would clear it out. This time it's pretty much dead it would seem. I've been liking canon lately - years ago I wouldn't touch them, but these days they seem to be quite good. I've been happy with the HP printers I've used except for the print quality. Perhaps I'll try a Canon next.

I shot an email off to Epson on Friday - I'm gonna have to wait until Monday for a response apparently since Saturday is seemingly not a business day for them (understandibly).
Old 07-11-04, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Preacher
All cartridges have an expiry date on them. Along with that if this issue has occurred for you it probably has for others. Talk or email them and explain this and you may be pleased with the result. They do dry out with no use and should be stored in a sealable container if you know that is the way it will be.
Well, with Epson, it's the print-heads that get stopped up. The carts don't seem to go dry (in my experience) - and the brand new ones I've been using were manufactured in the last few months. As I said - I did send an email. I may place a call to them as well on Monday... I hope they stand behind their products. Never hurts to complain.
Old 07-11-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you're looking for a new printer, Best Buy has the Canon i960 photo printer on sale right now for $139.95 after rebate. It was $249.95 when it came out last year and is a great general purpose printer too.