Reload this Page >

Mac Question about DVD-RAM

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-09-04, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay. My girlfriend is freakin' out because she has an interview monday to freelance for a publishing company doing graphics work.

My g/f no longer has a Mac but she has an entire graphics portfolio on a Mac DVD-RAM (2.6 gigs). The question she has is:

Can she crack the case of this external DVD-RAM and take out the disk? Will this disk play in a computer or (long-shot) dvd player?

If not, what are her options (if any)? I have a PC but neither of us know anybody with a Mac that we can get at this weekend.

I know this sounds kind of crazy, but any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
jay77
Old 07-09-04, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Simple answer. Lookup external DVD-ROM drives which can read RAM discs at videohelp.com and pick one up from Bestbuy. RAM discs come both in cartridge and noncartridge formats. Do not go contemplating the possibility of breaking the case open. Additionally, if the portfolio was burned as DATA, the possibility of playing it via a standalone DVD player is pointless anyway. If it was a video portfolio which was burned in DVD Video format, most recent Panasonic DVD standalone players/DVD Recorders will play either cartridge or noncartridge RAM discs just fine.

BTW, this is not a MAC issue. RAM discs are simply media and not exactly platform specific. If your PC has a DVD-ROM drive which reads RAM discs, this entire post is a nonissue.

P.S. Shame on your g/f for dumping her mac...
Old 07-10-04, 09:50 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by meritocracy
P.S. Shame on your g/f for dumping her mac...
Ditto.

Another issue that you very well may run into is that since it was burned on the mac, it could have been burned using a filesystem that windows won't understand.
Old 07-10-04, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

To clarify: It is a Memorex DVD-RAM Single Sided 2.6GB Type 2

The box says that it is type 2 - removable from cartidge

Does anyone know how to remove the disk. There are no directions and I dont want to risk breaking it.

BTW, she never owned a mac. Her parents did. And I'm glad she moved out.