Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Help. Nero 6 freezes while burning a video dvd

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-09-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not burning anything that's copyrighted
Source was encoded as divx but I was able to use Nero Vision Express to create the menu, chapters, and create the vob files
I start the burning program and select dvd video. select all the files in the video ts folder that vision express made and put them in the video ts folder on the dvd.
It starts burning but freezes during the burn. This time it was at 80%, the last two times, which were before I reinstalled windows it stopped around 50%. No errors just a complete lock up of the whole system.
I have burned over 10 data dvds using the same brand discs so I don't think that is the issue

ok, this is strange. even though it locked up opening the dvd shows the same total file size as the files on the harddrive that were used as the source. My stand alone dvd player won't read it (might be a dvd-r compatibility issue) but the creative player that came with my other dvdrom drive and decoder card is playing it. Well, it plays up to about chapter 16 out of 18 chapters.

Last edited by mikehunt; 07-09-04 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-09-04, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's weird that you can play it. You shouldn't be able to play it if it hasn't finalized the DVD and it can't finalize the DVD if it freezes up before it's down burning it. No idea what that would be. Maybe the DVD burner?
Old 07-09-04, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I found a program that can make an ISO file from already authored vob files and another program to burn that iso file. That's what I'm going to try next to try to determine if it is nero causing the problem or not. thing is, I'm only burning 3.5gb and I've already burned data dsics with totals of 4.5gb
worst part of all this is that these are $1 discs
I really hoping that my stand alone player didn't ply iy due to it not being completely burned since I've read that that model should work with the dvd-r discs I have
in a little bit I'm going to try the 2 freeware programs I got
Old 07-09-04, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

well, I was able to make an iso. did a simulation with the other program I got. it locked up the computer, can't remember at what % but it was over 50
rebooted and did a simulation in nero using the same iso file. simulation finished so I risked a real burn
worked and the movie plays in my standalone player
I guess making an iso and then wasting 25minutes by having nero simulate every one before doing the real burn is going to be how i have to make dvds.