Reload this Page >

Major issue with my pc (win XP pro)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-09-04, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When my daughter was using my computer yesterday a blue screen poped up that I have never seen before. I have no idea as to what I need to do to fix this issue, so I figure one of you more knowlageble people might know what is the problem, and what I need to do to get my pc up and running once more.

The blue screen says " A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time that you have seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this window appears agian follow these steps.

Check to see if any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates youy may need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any new hardware or software. Disable any bios options such as shadowing or caching. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, and press f8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000000d1 (0x00000001,0x000000A,0x00000001,0xf79c375)

*** nvarm.sys - address f749c375 base at f749c000, datestamp 3f3a8666

begining dump of physical memory
physical memory dump complete
contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance."

Yesterday I tried to use diffrent memory, and still had the issue so I figure that is not the problem, and I have not installed anything new in the pc is over a month, and that was a game. My daughter was playing online on the neo-pets site, so I do not think that is issue has anything to do with her using the pc and I do not download things from people without first checking the file to be sure that it is virus free.

I have a EPoX motherboard (EP-8RDA+) with 512 megs of cruical memory. I am running Windows Xp w/ SP1. If there is anything else that is needed to known let me know. I would like to get my pc back up and running if at all possible.

Oh, and if I want to be able to get even to the startup screen, I have to reset the bios for some reason, and even then when it gets to the windows screen, it locks up. Once it locks up I have to change the pin on the motherboard to reset the bios once more, and then hope that the pc will start up. It works about every few times it seems, but never long enough to actually do anything in the computer. Even when I try to go to safemode it locks up.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide!
Old 07-09-04, 11:13 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This seems to be an error occurring with your onboard sound driver, nvarm.sys. It's possible you need to use less aggressive timings on your RAM or you may be having heat issues.

Looking through here might give you some ideas:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...22nvarm.sys%22
Old 07-09-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd bet that your hard drive is dying.
Old 07-12-04, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, I can offically rule out the hard drive dieing. Put it in my Shuttle pc as a slave drive (so I could get some data off it) and it runs fine.

Guess it just might be a mother board problem, or a heat issue. I am leaning more to the idea that it is a heat issue, as if I leave it unpluged overnight I can get it to make it to the windows screen before it locks up. When I try to get it to that screen again, it takes awhile. I figure that maybe the pc is cooling off enough by then to make it. I checked all the fans, and everyone is running fine. Still lost...

I suck
Old 07-12-04, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It could be bad ram, last Christmas I started getting Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error messages. I replaced the ram and my system is running great.
Old 07-13-04, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got that error all the time (daily) shortly after I installed a new video capture card into my system. What was worse was after I removed the card I still got the errors. After checking everything I reinstalled Windows XP Pro but did a clean install (just did an upgrade from Win98 the first time around). I also reconfigured the HD to be NTFS instead of FAT32 and the computer has been rock solid ever since.

If you want to test your RAM, go to memtest86.com