Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Building new computer.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Building new computer.

Old 07-09-04, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Building new computer.

I'm about ready to order the parts to build my new computer, but I haven't really keep up on all the latest advances in computer. I don't need top of the line, but just a solid computer that will last a few years.

This is what I have in my cart right now, if you see anything that seems wrong or that I should add let me know.

ANTEC Black Solution Series ATX Mid-Tower Case with 350W Power Supply, Model "SLK3700-BQE" -RETAIL

Plextor 12X DVD+/-RW Drive, Model PX-712A Black, Retail

Asus Black 16X DVD-ROM Drive, Model DVD-E616P1 Black, Retail

Maxtor 160GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, MODEL 6Y160M0, OEM Drive Only

2 Crucial 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 8T - OEM

ABIT "IC7-G MAXII ADVANCE" i875P Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU -RETAIL

BELKIN 5-Socket Under Monitor Power Center Superior Series, Model "F9S520-06" -RETAIL

COOLMAX 400W CX-400B, BLACK, Taurus CX Series Silent Power Supply; 1 x 120mm fan, 3 Speed Fan Control Switch ( Auto, Low, Medium).

Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail

ATI AIW RADEON 9800PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/CATV/VIVO, 8X AGP, Model "ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 PRO" -RETAIL

NEC 1.44MB Black Internal Floppy Drive, OEM

2 Antec Cobra A26 Round 133 ATA Cable, Model "77226" -RETAIL

ANTEC Cobra F16 UV-activated plastic Round Floppy FDD Cable, Model "77217" -RETAIL

I'm flip flopping on the Plextor drive, $160 for a burner seems kind of high compared to the other drives out there. Anyone have this drive and is it worth the extra bucks.

If your wondering why I got an extra power supply, the one on my old computer is giving me trouble so I'm going to put the 350W in my old system for the kids and put the 400W in my new system.
Old 07-09-04, 09:44 AM

I'd look into getting the 8x NEC, for much less. Spend the extra money saved on DVDs. Plus right now I don't know if there are any 12x capable DVDs or how reliable they would be.
Old 07-09-04, 11:20 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with above and would dump the SATA drive and spend about $20 more to get a 250GB PATA drive. Or I would get a 160GB PATA drive for much less money. SATA won't buy you anything here.

Your CPU is a little anemic, particularly since you're paying for a very fast video card.

The RAM isn't the fastest. You might look for some CAS2 or CAS2.5 RAM for around the same price. Check out Corsair.
Old 07-09-04, 12:21 PM

Thanks for the advice so far, which I took

Got rid of the Plextor and replaced it with this drive for half the price, plus I'm ready for Dual layer burning.

Removed the SATA and replaced it with this one, I already have a 120G PATA that's sitting on my selve so 280G should be plenty. For awhile atleast

Beefed up the CPU to a 3.2C with the money I saved from the Plextor and Hard drive I'm about at the same price point.

And I changed the memory with some Corsair which was only $10 more for the set. Will Cas 2.5 really make a big improvment from Cas 3.0? And is there any Cas 2.0 at Newegg, I didn't see any.
Old 07-09-04, 12:44 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by David_M
And I changed the memory with some Corsair which was only $10 more for the set. Will Cas 2.5 really make a big improvment from Cas 3.0? And is there any Cas 2.0 at Newegg, I didn't see any.
Probably only a few percent. I have CAS2.5 XMS Corsair (supposedly a little better RAM than the Value line) and run it at CAS2 timings. You could try that with yours.
Old 07-09-04, 01:05 PM

I saw the XMS line, but $40 more per stick of ram I don't really think it would be worth it. I would consider it if it made a big difference.

Do you think I need an extra fan for the front of the Case, with two hard drive, two DVD drives and the Video card plus CPU that's alot of heat.
Old 07-09-04, 01:12 PM
X
Administrator

I have that case for my main machine and I did get the fan. It keeps the 5 hard drives right in front of it very cool. But it doesn't really do anything for the optical drives that have to be mounted higher.

Even though you can widely separate your two drives with all the room you have in there I would still recommend the extra fan just to get better airflow inside the case.
Old 07-09-04, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would spend the couple of bucks on the fan, the cooler you can keep the drives, the better off you are.

dave
Old 07-09-04, 04:18 PM

There's a deal going around for a 250GB 7200rpm Maxtor HD for under $130. But I noticed that your OEM drive says it has a 3yr warranty which might make it worth the difference.