Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

How long does it take before an e-mail address is "dead"?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-08-04, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This spam issue is getting WAY out of hand for me. I am getting over 500 e-mails a day (and those are the ones that get past my spam filter. I own my domain and was thinking about re-routing all of the e-mails of people/business I know to another e-mail accound and then disable all accounts on my domain. Would this help? My assumption is that after a while these spam servers would start eliminating my addresses from their lists once they've gotten the postmaster notice saying my address was not found. Is this even doable? If so, how lond would it take (approx)? If not, does anyone have any better ideas short of turning off my computer and becoming amish?
Old 07-08-04, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
do spammers even get the postmaster notice?
most spam I get always appears to have completely fake from addresses, or addresses from someone not related to spamming
Old 07-08-04, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One thing I learned quickly while owning my first domain (and this was probably 5 years ago): NEVER use a catch-all feature. It is death. If I were you I wouldn't worry about forwarding. Make a list of people to give your new addy to, and if you can't think of someone, they probably aren't important enough .
Old 07-10-04, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by drjay
One thing I learned quickly while owning my first domain (and this was probably 5 years ago): NEVER use a catch-all feature. It is death.
What do you mean by "catch all?"
Old 07-10-04, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by cupon
What do you mean by "catch all?"
It catches all of the e-mails that were sent to e-mail addresses that did not exist.

if your e-mail was [email protected] and somebody e-mailed you at [email protected], the catch all account would pick it up. Well, that's just paradise for spammers as they could spam [email protected] and you'd still get it.