Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Wireless networking question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-08-04, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, was wondering something about a wireless network that I am going to be setting up in a couple days.

I have two computers. A desktop running XP and a notebook running windows 98 and I have a D-link wireless router (802.11b).

We will not have internet hooked up for about a month. But what I want to do is go ahead and set up a wireless network between the two computers and share a printer that will be hooked up to the desktop.

Am I going to be able to do this with the router? Is it going to be a pain because one is using 98?

If it is not painfully obvious how to do this, could someone please give me a hand with step by step instructions? I am not the best at this whole networking thing.

Thanks a bunch
Old 07-08-04, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes this can be done, do a google there are tons of step by step guides on doing exactly what you ask. I used one couple years back when I set my wireless/wired network up.
Old 07-08-04, 11:59 AM

sweet. As long as it can be done that is good to know. Thanks
Old 07-08-04, 02:59 PM
Cool New Member

I was sorta wondering the same thing, but I want to set up a wireless network between two computers (one with Windows 2000 and the other with Windows 98). I was in Best Buy yesterday and they basically told me I wouldn't be able to connect the Windows 98 computer unless I upgraded to at least Windows 98SE (or if I plugged the Windows 98 computer into the DSL -- which isn't an option for me).

I've checked google but I'm having a hard time trying to figure this out (I'm not very computer savvy). Basically I want to know if I can set up a wireless network with Windows 98, and what the heck do I need to buy? Thanks!
Old 07-08-04, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk God

the guys at best buy are morons
you can setup a network with win2k and win98.. you just need a router (and of course network cards in both systems)

Last edited by twikoff; 07-08-04 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-08-04, 03:26 PM
Cool New Member

I was wondering if they're morons, and I guess you're confirming this! Thanks -- I'll check into it some more.
Old 07-08-04, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here is one I found, I think I may have used it??

Network Setup Guide
Old 07-15-04, 12:16 PM

Well, okay guys. I have kinda sorta got somewhere. Using my linksys router I was able to get the desktop with XP to recognize the router (high speed internet will be turned on in a couple weeks) AND the laptop running windows 98. However, the laptop running 98 can connect to the router BUT it can not see the desktop on the network and therefore can NOT share the printer on it.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 07-15-04, 05:20 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Gasspasser
Well, okay guys. I have kinda sorta got somewhere. Using my linksys router I was able to get the desktop with XP to recognize the router (high speed internet will be turned on in a couple weeks) AND the laptop running windows 98. However, the laptop running 98 can connect to the router BUT it can not see the desktop on the network and therefore can NOT share the printer on it.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
http://www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/wxpwin9x.html

Hope that helps!
Old 07-15-04, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by twikoff
the guys at best buy are morons
you can setup a network with win2k and win98.. you just need a router (and of course network cards in both systems)
A second with the BB guys are morons thing. I've got fork lift terminals at work running DOS with wifi with no problems. 98 can certainly handle it all. Now security, that's another story. With anything under 2000 I believe you are stuck with just WEP, no EAP related stuff at all, unless you are using something like LEAP. Of course that won't matter to 99% of the users.

Get the newest drivers for you card and the newest version of your card manufacturer's software that controls the card settings. Simple as that.