Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Bit Torrent

Old 07-01-04, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bit Torrent

Anyone ever heard of bit torrent? Most importantly, anyone know how to use it ? I tried using it months ago and gave up. I figure I would ask you guys for help.
Old 07-01-04, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This would probably get more responses if posted in the Tech Forum.
Old 07-01-04, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

try here:

http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/romeria/howto.htm
Old 07-01-04, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm using emule now which i think is based on bit torrent. I'm not into file sharing, but there is a PC game that i want that isn't sold anymore and the original developer and publisher doesn't exist anymore. And to top it off, it's going for $40 on ebay.
Old 07-01-04, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Which game?
Old 07-01-04, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

star trek: birth of the federation

made by the legendary microprose
Old 07-01-04, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

word of advice for the OP. some of the p2p apps install tons of spyware on your PC. Not to mention the other security risks. My advice would be to buy a copy of MS Virtual PC 2004, set up a virtual installation and use that for p2p. Then periodically delete it and recreate it. This will make sure that you get as little spyware as possible on your pc
Old 07-01-04, 08:59 PM
Banned

Okay, quick guide to using BitTorrent:

First, download a BitTorrent Client. I recommend Azureus. azureus.sourceforge.net to get it. Read the install instructions before downloading it, it's written in Java so you need to make sure your Java is up to date.

Install it, and if you have a firewall you'll need to open a port on it. Check the how-to's on the 'net to do this.

Now you need to find torrents. There's *tons* of sites out there that host these. BitTorrent doesn't do searching or anything, you have to find the torrent files yourself.

Once you find them, it's just a matter of clicking on the torrent file link in your browser. Tell it to Open the torrent file, it'll run the BitTorrent client (azureus), which will then connect and try to download the files that the torrent file is describing.

The download may take a while to get going good, but once it's going it will be reasonably fast. I frequently see speeds of 200-300K/second on my cable modem connection. But not all torrents will do this, and it's kind of the luck of the draw. The more people getting the file, the faster it usually goes. Really.

After it's done downloading, it'll go into a mode called "seeding" which means that you're sending the file to other people. The convention is to let it seed until you have reached at least a ratio of 1.000 for the file. More is better, but let it seed until you hit 1.000 at minimum.

It's pretty straightforward. Just realize that a "*.torrent" file is a file that tells the client where to connect to and what the files it's getting are. After that it'll connect to a server (called a tracker), get a list of other people getting the file, and connect to the them to get and send parts of the file. That's how it works.
Old 07-01-04, 09:00 PM
Banned

Originally posted by al_bundy
i'm using emule now which i think is based on bit torrent.
eMule is based on eDonkey, and neither one has anything to do with BitTorrent.
Old 07-01-04, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

word of advice for the OP. some of the p2p apps install tons of spyware on your PC. Not to mention the other security risks. My advice would be to buy a copy of MS Virtual PC 2004, set up a virtual installation and use that for p2p. Then periodically delete it and recreate it. This will make sure that you get as little spyware as possible on your pc

Considering the OP couldn't get Bit Torrent up and running, I think you're proposal, while a fine idea in general, might be a bit much.
Old 07-01-04, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
just run adaware immediately after installing and the spyware won't be an issue
and in the case of kazaa or grokster there's a fake dll file that disables the main spyware included with them while making the program think the spyware is still there so kazaa/grokster will keep running
Old 07-01-04, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's a link to a fairly comprehensive FAQ about Bittorrent:

http://btfaq.com/

Personally, I'd recommend BitTornado to people just starting out with BT:

http://bt.degreez.net/

It's a bit more straightforward to install (no Java VM) and exposes its functionality in a very simple manner. Just pick a profile that suits your situation (isdn, cable, T1, etc.) and you're pretty much set. The only other thing you need to worry about (which is true of all BT clients) is port-forwarding if you're behind router/firewall.
Old 07-02-04, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They talked about this on The Screen Savers this evening. Catch the rerun this weekend and you can learn a little more.
Old 07-02-04, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Interesting tip .. haven't considered that before. You learn something every day.

I'll check it out. Thanks.
Old 07-02-04, 02:09 PM

for some reason bit tornado 3.3 slows down my pc compared to the old shadows experimental version. its nice to have the global download limiter to help increase your share ratio...the old shadows loads up quickly with no problems...

anyone know how to re display a torrent after your desktop crashes? only way i know is to bring up task manager to end processes or to log/turn off & re login or turn the pc back on
Old 07-07-04, 11:12 PM

Originally posted by mikehunt
and in the case of kazaa or grokster there's a fake dll file that disables the main spyware included with them while making the program think the spyware is still there so kazaa/grokster will keep running

where do i get this fake dll and what do i have to do to install it? do i simply install it, or do i have to delete the real dll?

Last edited by Painkiller; 07-08-04 at 12:37 AM.
Old 07-07-04, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Un-install the regular kazaa first then get kazaalite. It comes with the "fake dll. the file in question is clint.dll if I am not mistaken

http://www.kazaalite.com/
Old 07-07-04, 11:21 PM
lxl

i'm using emule now which i think is based on bit torrent.
emule and BT use different p2p protocols and they are basically very different from each other.
Old 07-08-04, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
the kazaa lite choice is probably best, since these instructions first came out before that was an option. There another page that I liked better but the page has been removed. This one still seems to work and is the same basic instructions as the one I had used for grokster
http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Qu...html#preparing

Originally posted by Painkiller
where do i get this fake dll and what do i have to do to install it? do i simply install it, or do i have to delete the real dll?
Old 07-08-04, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

also, Shareaza handles BT beautifully, has no spyware, and just rules in general (can connect to different networks, etc).

http://www.shareaza.com/