Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Ipod in a car - News from Jobs

Old 06-08-04, 02:17 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Ipod in a car - News from Jobs

.Apple Insider Dot Com Exclusive:
Speaking from the Wall Street Journal's :
D2: All things Digital conference this afternoon in Carlsbad, Apple CEO Steve Jobs made a number of interesting statements. Most notably, Jobs confirmed that Apple had designed its own PDA device, but canned the project just prior to bringing it to market. Also of interest to Apple followers:

Jobs alluded to a new product when he was setting context prior to announcing the Airport Express. He said people also want the iPod to work better in their car, and to expect some announcements later in the year. Jobs had an image on the screen of the inside of a BMW, with the BMW logo Photoshop'd out.

Jobs said Apple is working very hard at getting the price down on the iPod. When asked when it will happen, he just smiled.

When Jobs was demonstrating the new Airport Express, Walt Mossberg said that the biggest problem he saw was that users had to get up and walk to their computers to change play lists. Jobs joked that walking was good, but when pressed, he smiled a wry smile. AppleInsider correspondents took this to mean that Apple is developing in this area, and the Airport Express is just a step along the way
Old 06-08-04, 04:06 PM
Stealth Moderator

PDA as we know it is on the outs. As reported a week ago, Sony is pulling the plug on its Clie in the U.S. No need for Apple to get in the mix.

I'm excited about the iPod car accessory. The current FM radio adapters are really not that good.

I thought that the Airport Express was already pretty cool. If this is indeed just a step along the way, then ... wow.
Old 06-08-04, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by namja
PDA as we know it is on the outs. As reported a week ago, Sony is pulling the plug on its Clie in the U.S. No need for Apple to get in the mix.
Actually, this is not quite accurate. Sony is not releasing any new models for the remainder of THIS year. It just means they're re-assessing the PDA market and deciding on what they will do next. If they decide they can make money in the market, they will be back. (Let's hope.)
Old 06-08-04, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I for one wouldn't care if PDAs fell off the face of the Earth. I have a Pocket PC and I find it very cumbersome and bulky. I had a Visor Edge, that when it broke, my school bought the Toshiba 750e for me since it was a color screen and could play movies and flash files. Big whoop!

If Apple had released one, I probably would have bought it.