Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Question: External CD Burner for Laptop

Old 06-08-04, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Question: External CD Burner for Laptop

Are external compact disc burners compatible with laptops as with PC's?

I have an internal one on my PC, but I decided to not get one on my laptop (because I already had to upgrade to MS Office and that was more than I was really willing to pay but I had to have it therefore I chose not to spend more money on the cdr drive) but now I want to get an external cd burner and I was just wondering if they were okay for laptops?

Do you have to buy a special one?

Which one's are best? cheapest? (the cheap the better because I won't be using it that much)
Old 06-08-04, 12:18 PM

You should have no problems at all, but unless you have USB 2.0 or firewire you will be capped at around 4x or so write speed due to USB 1.1 restrictions.

I mean heck, I use an internal DVD-R recorder on my laptop as an external drive and it purrs like a kitten.
Old 06-08-04, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

USB 2.0? How do I know if I have that?

Don't ask me anything about stuff inside a computer.
Old 06-09-04, 05:51 PM

Well, how old is the computer? What OS? If its less than a year old or even a year then you most likely have USB 2.0
Old 06-10-04, 01:52 PM

Yeah, if it's a recent laptop, you most likely have USB 2.0. If you have a USB 2.0 device, and you plug it into a USB 1.1 port, you'll probably get a message in your XP System Tray complaining that a Hi-Speed USB device was plugged into a non-Hi-Speed port.

Which one's are best? cheapest? (the cheap the better because I won't be using it that much)
I suppose you can get a USB enclosure kit (they're not expensive these days) and use an internal burner with it. I'm not up on the current prices of external burners, but enclosure/internal burner combination will probably end up being cheaper (plus, you can use the enclosure for hard drives too).
Old 06-10-04, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a new one with Windows XP Office. It's an IBM R40. It's just a year old, really.
Old 06-10-04, 06:15 PM

Get the ADS external drive kit for $59.99 (Circuit City sells em), its pricer than those cheap off brands but trust me...you get a good solid product. Then go grab yourself a good CDR/DVDR/hard drive...whichever...and rock on!