Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Which Blank DVD's to use for movies?

Old 06-07-04, 01:09 PM
Cool New Member

Which Blank DVD's to use for movies?

i was wondering which brank of dvd-r's are the best ones to get for the best price. also which is better for movies, + or -?
Old 06-07-04, 01:51 PM

This is too broad of a question.
1. DVD+Rs or DVD-Rs?
Depends on your burner and on what type of devices you plan on playing back on. With my burner (NEC +/-) I use mostly -R because they are cheaper and all my units will play them without a problem.

2. Which brand at the best price?
You have to decide quality or price? I've got some Sonic disc that were real cheap but they don't play in all the DVD players I've tried. I spent a little more money on Ritek discs which I've had 100% success with. I highly recommend Ritek discs, they are a little more, but I feel it's worth the extra cost.
Old 06-07-04, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

DVD-R's
Old 06-07-04, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I transfered many of my LDs to these Verbatim Digital Movie DVD-Rs.

You can get a 25 pack for $37 at Buy.com. A little more expensive, but they look great and play back well on every DVD player I've tried them on including my old 1998 Sony S300.

You can get them as DVD-R or DVD+R, but from my experience DVD-R is the most compatible type.

Last edited by darkside; 06-08-04 at 12:03 AM.
Old 06-07-04, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Experiment with your burner and DVD player. Some burners and DVD players take more kindly to one media/brand than other.

I've had absolutely zero problems with Memorex and Fuji DVD+R.
The 50 pack is on sale at Best Buy this week for $40 - the price had been holding steady at 50 for the past few months.
Old 06-08-04, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I always recommend this site: http://www.videohelp.com

You can cross-reference media, player, and burner to find something that should work for you.
Old 06-08-04, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by breaux124
2. Which brand at the best price?
You have to decide quality or price? I've got some Sonic disc that were real cheap but they don't play in all the DVD players I've tried. I spent a little more money on Ritek discs which I've had 100% success with. I highly recommend Ritek discs, they are a little more, but I feel it's worth the extra cost.
Just got 100 RiData RitekG04 DVD-R discs from http://www.meritline.com for $65 shipped during their Memorial Day sale.
Old 06-08-04, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by darkside

You can get a 25 pack for $37 at Buy.com. A little more expensive, but they look great and play back well on every DVD player I've tried them on including my old 1998 Sony S300.

You can get them as DVD-R or DVD+R, but from my experience DVD-R is the most compatible type.
Been using these for my LD transfers as well. No probs in any of my players. Best Buy had these on sale for $25 for 25 a couple of months ago. I shoulda bought more than the two spindles I did.

Last edited by matome; 06-08-04 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-08-04, 11:19 AM

I use the Memorex DVD+R discs. They work fine for me. I've never had a problem with them (knock on wood). And they are usually relatively cheap as well, I grab them while I can at $49.99 when BestBuy puts them on sale.
Old 06-08-04, 05:11 PM

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0172114

have burned around 100 of these disks, never made a coaster and never heard any feedback from people telling me it would not work in there player.

good, cheap dvd -r's
Old 07-05-04, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by matome
Been using these for my LD transfers as well. No probs in any of my players. Best Buy had these on sale for $25 for 25 a couple of months ago. I shoulda bought more than the two spindles I did.
older thread i know but you might like this then

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....5&type=product

15 bucks for a 25 pack with free shipping

found on slickdeals.net

i hate best buy and their stupid damn cookies screen.. if it doesn't work just look for them in the dvd media section... they are 14.99 free shipping

Last edited by glassdragon; 07-05-04 at 05:27 AM.
Old 07-05-04, 06:15 PM

I saw these at my Wal-Mart, neat design, but they appear to come in hard plastic cases. Don't know if they are in Jewel Cases or what.

I use the Memorex DVD+R discs. They work fine for me. I've never had a problem with them (knock on wood). And they are usually relatively cheap as well, I grab them while I can at $49.99 when BestBuy puts them on sale.
I saw these at my local Wal-Mart and Meijr. The ones I saw came with Keep Cases, which I like.

Most of the DVD recordable discs I see come in jewel cases, but Memorex was the only one I found in keep cases.

Don't have a DVD recorder yet, but I would always go with a name brand or a brand that you trust and had previous experience with.
Old 07-06-04, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DouglasRobert

I saw these at my Wal-Mart, neat design, but they appear to come in hard plastic cases. Don't know if they are in Jewel Cases or what.

The ones in the 25 packs are spindled. The ones you saw are the 10 packs and come in super jewel cases.

I picked up 2 of the 25 spindles at Best Buy. $14.99 each is a great deal. I'm not even sure what I'm going to put on them, but I can't pass them up at that price.
Old 07-06-04, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by glassdragon
older thread i know but you might like this then

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....5&type=product

15 bucks for a 25 pack with free shipping

found on slickdeals.net

i hate best buy and their stupid damn cookies screen.. if it doesn't work just look for them in the dvd media section... they are 14.99 free shipping
Yep, saw the flyer and it says $19.99 as did the shelf sign, but rings up at $14.99 Hi-quality DVD-R's for around $.60.