Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Could this be a virus?

Old 06-04-04, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Could this be a virus?

Or is this pc just dead? My gf's pc the other day just kinda died. I can't get it to load Windows at all, it just keeps restarting and restarting. I don't think it's a virus because she doesn't download anything, but I guess there is always a chance. It's an older computer, about 3 years old, Celeron 667 I think running XP. Should I try and fix it, or is it just time for a new one?
Old 06-25-04, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone? This has happened to another friend's pc so I am more inclined to thinking it could be a virus.
Old 06-25-04, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Happened to one of my computers. I never could figure out what it was. I gave up and bought a new computer from Dell for $250.
Old 06-25-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Could this be a virus?

Originally posted by Quake1028
Or is this pc just dead? My gf's pc the other day just kinda died. I can't get it to load Windows at all, it just keeps restarting and restarting. I don't think it's a virus because she doesn't download anything, but I guess there is always a chance. It's an older computer, about 3 years old, Celeron 667 I think running XP. Should I try and fix it, or is it just time for a new one?
It could be a hardware problem. Motherboard, memory, hardrive? Try taking the hard drive and memory out and see if it posts. Then put memory in see if it posts. Then hardrive etc.
Old 06-25-04, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Could be something like the Blaster worm. Do you see any error messages before the reboot? All you need is to be connected to the internet to catch stuff now, if you have no firewall and no a-v program that's current you're screwed.
Old 06-25-04, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good Possiblility that it is a hardware problem.
Un-Plug EVERYTHING from the back of the computer, including scanners. printers, etc.... Only have the Video/Monitor, Mouse and Keyboard plugged into the computer.

Could be a faulty power supply
Could be a hot or burnt CPU
If you have mutliple sticks of RAM (memory) take on out and re-start, Do the same for the other stick.

Make sure ALL fans are running (Case fan and CPU fan)

Just keep the bare minumum hooked up to the comp and do a process of elemination.

Post Back with results
Old 06-25-04, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, the thing is, the computer is 3 years old, not really worth all of that hassle. The odd thing is, my friend had the same thing happen to their computer like a week later. Freak coincidence.
Old 06-25-04, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've seen viruses (maybe gaobot?) that had a machine rebooting in a loop everytime it got to the login screen. I just formatted and reinstalled windows on it and all was well.
Old 06-25-04, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This doesn't even get to the login screen. It just hangs right before that and then restarts.
Old 06-26-04, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well check the other suggestions and unplug everything, take out the cards in the pci slots and see what happens. See if you can boot off a cd and reinstall windows - if there really isn't anything to recover.
Old 06-26-04, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Something like this just happened to my computer at work. I was plugging along and then it just turned off. Then I started it again and it stayed on for 2-3 mins and then turned off. Kept doing this and last I tried, it just turned off and stayed off....sucks.