Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Video Card for Video editing - Help me.

Old 06-04-04, 12:33 PM

Video Card for Video editing - Help me.

I'm helping a friend build up his new PC and he wants a video card for video editing. He has a bunch of 8mm analog tapes that he wants to edit, re-encode, and then burn to DVD.

He was looking at the ATI 9800 Pro All-in-wonder. I think this card would be overkill, since he doesn't intend to play any games. What would be a good card for him to get? Or should he just get a standard video card, and then get a PCI device specific for Video capture/editing? What would you recommend?

He's already got the rest of the system setup: 2.8G P4 w/Hyperthreading, 512MB Ram (already suggested upgrading to 1GB), DVD+-RW, 120GB 7200rpm drive, etc.
Old 06-04-04, 12:51 PM
X
Administrator

Re: Video Card for Video editing - Help me.

Originally posted by breaux124
He was looking at the ATI 9800 Pro All-in-wonder. I think this card would be overkill, since he doesn't intend to play any games. What would be a good card for him to get? Or should he just get a standard video card, and then get a PCI device specific for Video capture/editing? What would you recommend?
I would not get an All-in-Wonder card. Too much functionality tied up in one card and the video quality won't be as good as other solutions.

Having tried several methods myself, I recommend an external unit that does the conversion and interfaces with the computer via USB 2.0 or Firewire. Search this forum for "capture" and you should find some threads about this.
Old 06-04-04, 02:16 PM

How do these look?
Something like these, all with good ratings:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...144-306&depa=0
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...117-201&depa=0

I read your other thread, and because he wants to edit I think it would be better to capture AVI, edit, and then convert to MPEG2.
Old 06-04-04, 02:31 PM
X
Administrator

I don't know anything about those cards. I believe the Flyvideo cards are supposed to be about the best capture cards though.

You can still edit an MPEG-2 file in terms of cutting out/pasting in type stuff. I've done that with my ADS box.

I'd still recommend an external box like the Canopus or DAC-100 (if that's what it's called) if even just to get AVI.