Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Best way to find FREE Hotspots (websites, etc.)?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-04-04, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been searching websites looking for listings of free hotspots and finding very little other than the very user-unfriendly wifimaps.com. No way I'm going to pay $22/month or $7/day to use some hot spot for my lunch hour.

Thoughts? Ideas? Etc.?
Old 06-04-04, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looks like wigle.net has some good info. I'm right here on the corner of Cabrillo Park & 17th every day, so maybe I can hook into one of these during lunch:

Not sure if the link will work
Old 06-04-04, 03:19 AM
Stealth Moderator

This lists a lot of the pay sites:
http://www.wi-fihotspotlist.com

You can also buy one of those wireless sniffers which will also tell you if the network uses encryption or not.
Old 06-04-04, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hiyas, there are many grassroots groups throughout the world that work on free hotspot projects. Some of the more active ones have over 100 nodes in their WAN that can relay bandwidth to other points in the wireless WAN.

One such group is SeattleWireless which has an active website and has plenty of links to other major free hotspot group projects (possibly in your area). Of course, many such projects may have and maintain their own lists of free hotspots in their area whether or not they run them. SeattleWireless does that.

http://www.seattlewireless.net/

As an example of one of the favourite 802.11 wireless cards, try google for "Senao" and then click on the SeattleWireless link (about the third item down). Or:

http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/SenaoCard

Sometimes, the best support for wireless cards comes from sites like the one SeattleWireless has. At the above URL, you find links to the Hardware comparison page for various 802.11 cards and routers as well as statistics on receiver sensitivity that you may not get from the manufacturer.