Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

What to do? - Memory or new processor?

Old 06-03-04, 01:09 PM

What to do? - Memory or new processor?

A guy I work with has a PIII computer with 128MB of Rambus Ram. He wants to get more memory but it'll cost about $160 to get 512MB total (2 - 256MB sticks). Another option would be to get a new motherboard, processor and SDRAM. I already tried to convince him to get a low end dell for a little more, but he doesn't want to spend any extra money. So for around $160 what would you do?

I've seen AMD process and motherboards for around $100 then the rest could be used for memory. What processor and motherboards are cheap but decent? He's a basic computer user, MP3s, surfing, word processing, etc. Any places have good service and pricing (besides Newegg?)
Old 06-03-04, 01:18 PM
X
Administrator

I got an Asus SY-K7VME free after rebate ($40-50 before rebate), A mobile Athlon 2400+ for $77, and 512MB of RAM for $50. Its performance kills a PIII several times over. Just add a heatsink or get a retail-version CPU.

There are deals on motherboard + CPU for $60-90 all the time that will be much faster than a PIII.
Old 06-03-04, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Definitely go the route of the mobo/cpu upgrade. I don't think your coworker will see much of a difference going from 128 MB to 512 MB. He'll get more of a performance boost spending his money on a new CPU.

Check out http://www.pricewatch.com to compare prices. You sort of have to know exactly what you're looking for first though.
Old 06-04-04, 09:59 AM

Got it all sorted out. Picked up an AMD XP 2000+, a motherboard, and a CD burner for $112 shipped from Newegg. Now I just need to get some memory, but SDRAM is much cheaper than Rambus.
Since he's a basic user I didn't think he need the added benefit of the Barton and the 333MHz Bus.

Another bonus I found out. We're going to sell his motherboard, memory and processor on Ebay and it seems they get decent money. It's a PIII 933MHz Slot 1, which quite a few companies used in low end servers, so I should be able to get about 70+ dollars just for the CPU.