Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

WordArt problems w/ Netscape

Old 06-02-04, 06:05 PM

WordArt problems w/ Netscape

Ok, I've created a little website for a my "guild" in the MMORPG City of Heroes which works great using IE. However, I HATE IE and therefore use Netscape 7.1. The issue I am having is that the WordArt I used for the website converts to .gif form and is viewable using IE, but not with Netscape. I tried to tweak the html to change the source for the .gif file to the main folder but this did not work. With a bit of research, I read perhaps it's not saving as 8-bit but higher, so I got out Photoshop and checked and the .gif file is 8-bit (actually coming in as 7) so this isn't the problem. What's going on? I am able to see other .gifs on other sites. Is this a FrontPage to Netscape issue? Or is this purely a Netscape problem? How can I get Netscape viewers to be able to see my site completely? Any help is appreciated.

http://www.freewebs.com/councilofheroes

This is the site URL. ^^

I am using Windows XP and have Microsoft FrontPage 2002 version (10.2623.2625)
Old 06-02-04, 08:20 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wonder if it's because you have a space in this directory "CoH Homepage_files"

try taking the space out or moving the image to a folder that doesn't contain a space and recode.
Old 06-02-04, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by HN
I wonder if it's because you have a space in this directory "CoH Homepage_files"

try taking the space out or moving the image to a folder that doesn't contain a space and recode.
I tried to seek out property settings for this and it seems FrontPage does this automatically. I then tried to tweak the html and changed those settings for the image source and it still uploads that same directory for the .gif. It's rather frustrating! LOL......can't think of where else to change things unless this is an issue with Netscape and not with FrontPage (IE can see the entire page just fine).

EDIT: Just checked the properties on the WordArt for the page logo in IE and it shows to get the file information from the main folder source for the rest of the page. But in Netscape it does not. This is very odd.

Last edited by cmgfilms; 06-02-04 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-03-04, 12:57 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This thread here should help (or rather clarify) :

http://www.forum4designers.com/message30641.html
Old 06-03-04, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't know they still made Netscape.

Anyways, yes, IE sucks, I'd recommend you try to view it with another browser (I use Opera, but there are plenty good one to choose from) that displays html as it's ment to be. If it works fine on those, don't worry about it, it's a Netscape problem... and no one uses Netscape anymore anyways
Old 06-03-04, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Personally, I would ditch FrontPage and maybe use something else if that's possible. If not, create a graphic manually in Photoshop and import that rather than relying on WordArt. That way you won't have make your users download the Alexis font to make the image look right.

The current page you have works under IE because it's using VML which isn't supported by Gecko (the HTML rendering engine used by Netscape 7+, Mozilla, etc.). The image001.gif file that's referenced for browsers that don't support VML is unavailable (ie 404 error).
Old 06-03-04, 04:03 PM

Thanks all! I'll see what I can churn up using Photoshop. VML should be in Gecko, but that doesn't mean I'll ditch Netscape....IE has caused me WAY too many problems of late and I can't afford Opera at the moment But I certainly appreciate the help!!!!