Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

WirlessKeyboard/Mouse

Old 06-02-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

WirlessKeyboard/Mouse

Do the wirless Keyboard/Mouse requires a special driver to load into the OS?
If so, does that mean that you won't be able to use your wirless KB/Mouse with a DOS boot disk?

Reason I ask is that I need to boot up with a DOS disk to run GHOST. If the KB/Mouse does not work under DOS then it would be useless for me.
Old 06-02-04, 11:45 AM

My Logitec wireless keyboard/mouse combo work fine under DOS and Linux with no special effort on my part.
Old 06-02-04, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

how is it with gaming, groucho? is there lag?
Old 06-02-04, 06:23 PM

As a general rule of thumb, any keyboard or mouse I have ever seen will work if they connect to the system via the traditional PS/2 ports. If they use USB, bluetooth, or some other medium to make that final connection it would probably depend on the BIOS treated them as system keyboards.

I use a logitech MX duo for my linux media box in the living room. I get great performance within 5-10 feet, although around 15-20 feet I will lose all signal, depending on what else is in the room. Overall it works great for UT2004 and such.
Old 06-02-04, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: WirlessKeyboard/Mouse

Originally posted by timewaster
Do the wirless Keyboard/Mouse requires a special driver to load into the OS?
If so, does that mean that you won't be able to use your wirless KB/Mouse with a DOS boot disk?
They're simply USB devices. You plug a wireless receiver into the USB port.

DOS support may be sketchy, but it always has been for mice, anyway. (Keyboard is a bigger concern, understandably.) The good news is that I remember seeing BIOS options pertaining to USB; I think modern BIOSes just considered them ordinary devices.

Really - how often do you expect to boot from a DOS boot disk? Keep in mind that the Win2K/WinXP native file systems probably won't be accessible using a DOS boot disk from WinME, etc.; instead, you boot a minimal GUI interface, which of course has generic kbd/mouse drivers built in.

- David Stein
Old 06-03-04, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by hallsa
As a general rule of thumb, any keyboard or mouse I have ever seen will work if they connect to the system via the traditional PS/2 ports. If they use USB, bluetooth, or some other medium to make that final connection it would probably depend on the BIOS treated them as system keyboards.

I use a logitech MX duo for my linux media box in the living room. I get great performance within 5-10 feet, although around 15-20 feet I will lose all signal, depending on what else is in the room. Overall it works great for UT2004 and such.
what is PS/2 ports? Is that the serial port?

Is your logitech MX duo using USB or PS2?

I have a new Asus motherboard (P4) I bought back on Nov. So should it recoginize USB devices when I boot up with DOS?
Old 06-03-04, 11:53 AM

My mouse connects into the USB port. My keyboard is USB also, but it connects into the PS/2 port via an adapter that came with the system.

They work great for gaming. No lag or other problems. Logitech has lousy drivers, so sometimes getting games to work right has been an issue...but that would have been true cordless or not.
Old 06-03-04, 09:25 PM

I have battery life problems with my Logitech mouse. Seems like the keyboard takes more batteries than the mouse so it's not dying as often but when the mouse goes your screwed.

Edited to add - But I still prefer them to the corded variety.
Old 06-04-04, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Creek Rat
I have battery life problems with my Logitech mouse. Seems like the keyboard takes more batteries than the mouse so it's not dying as often but when the mouse goes your screwed.

Edited to add - But I still prefer them to the corded variety.
This is why I'm looking for a wireless mouse with a rechargable base. Since a wireless mouse/Charging station costs around 40 bucks, I decided to get a wireless keyboard/mouse combo.

Groucho - what games did you have problems with? I do quite a lot of gaming (WC3, rpgs). What do you do if you can't get it to work with a game? do you switch back to your wired setup or can you play around with settings to get it to work?
Old 06-04-04, 11:30 AM

The problems I had were getting games to recognize the mouse wheel and the thumb button. There's a couple workarounds:

1. Use the generic Microsoft mouse drivers. Several people have had great success with this, plus the drivers use a lot less memory. I didn't want to go this route, however, because I like the pop-up notification when my batteries are low (not an issue if you use a mouse with rechargable base).

2. Logitech has released a little utility that makes it's mouse drivers interact better with games. I ran that and it instantly solved my problems.

3. I believe there are other third-party drivers out there that are supposed to work pretty well. I haven't tried any of these.

Again, this is pretty much a Logitech issue. Their drivers are notorious. But overall, I love the cordless combo.