Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Router or Switch ?

Old 06-01-04, 12:56 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Router or Switch ?

Hi,

I was looking at Linksys EZXS55W it kind of looks like a Router but says switch. What is the difference ? I wan to hook up 2 computers so they can share the internet.

Thanks.
Old 06-01-04, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What you want is a router that also has a switch built into it.

The EZXS55W is a switch, not a router.

This is a router that has a switch built in:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=electronics
Old 06-01-04, 01:35 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thank you
Old 06-01-04, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've always found this terminology confusing. Here's a quick summary (as best I understand it):

Hub: Dumb network device that broadcasts all packets to all machines. Inefficient; horrible security.

Router: Network device that forwards each packet only along the connectino that leads to the destination.

Switch: A router that handles multiple network speeds (e.g., a router that simultaneously handles both 10mbps devices and 100mbps devices.)

Access point: A router that connects a LAN to a broadband connection (e.g., a DSL modem.)

Broadband modem: A device that translates an incoming signal from a broadband provider (DSL, cable, satellite, or ISDN) into a usable network signal.

Bridge: A device that connects two LANs.

Repeater: A device that rebroadcasts network traffic from a LAN (usually wireless, but not necessarily) to supply usable signal strength to distant machines.

Any corrections, or any other definitions to add?

- David Stein
Old 06-01-04, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Access Point: Usually refers to wireless. Think antenna connected to a network jack. Not nessecarily a router.

Router Connects seperate networks (e.g. your home network to the Internet)
Old 06-01-04, 03:59 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by sfsdfd
Switch: A router that handles multiple network speeds (e.g., a router that simultaneously handles both 10mbps devices and 100mbps devices.)
I don't think I'd call a switch a router. A router generally routes packets to different subnets. A switch intelligently routes packets to devices on the same subnet.
Old 06-01-04, 04:09 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by sfsdfd
Any corrections, or any other definitions to add?
See http://compnetworking.about.com/libr...blglossary.htm for definitions of most, if not all, of those. A switch is not a router, just a smart hub. A router is used to join together different networks (with potentially different protocols). An access point (AP) is just a way to connect a wired network to various wireless devices--it is not a router. They usually can bridge to each other also. A broadband modem is also actually a type of router.
Old 06-01-04, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the clarifications, guys. I guess I'll just let the glossary speak for itself.

I've searched for these kinds of glossaries several times - but the ones I've found have had really vague definitions. Many times they were simply part of a marketing scheme ("router: A device like the AT482 that handles tons of traffic..."), or were oversimplified and vague ("router: a device that routes network traffic.") That glossary works very well.

- David Stein