Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

I think my email had been abused by spammers!

Old 06-01-04, 07:40 AM

I think my email had been abused by spammers!

Recently, I had received some "Mail Delivery Failure" emails in my yahoo email account. The problem is, I never send such emails. I don't even know the recepient. In addition, the name beside that email address is not mine! I guess the recepient must had blocked my email because they received junk mail from "me" before.

Did anyone have this problem before? What should I do? Thanks.
Old 06-01-04, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've gotten these before too, but I just assumed it was spam designed to LOOK like a delivery failure so it would trick me into opening it out of confusion.
Old 06-01-04, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Doesn't necessarily mean you sent it out. A lot of viruses send emails from an infected user's machine using contacts listed in their Outlook address books. It randomly puts these names as the reply-to address so it's hard to trace back and notify the infected originator. Of course when the recipient's virus protection catches the email or it's a non-current address it will send a warning reply back to your spoofed address. One of your friends may have been infected.

Last edited by matome; 06-01-04 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-01-04, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I had something like this happen as well. I was subscribed to a yahoo group. The group mod, sent me emails saying they couldn't send to this address anymore because it is a source of spam and viruses hitting the other members of the group. Not sure how that happened or how to fix it. I run a mac OSX.3 so I highly doubt that something was installed on my machine w/o me knowing.

The thing is, the address I use is my junk mailbox. Who knows?
Old 06-01-04, 10:14 AM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So that was you who sent me the email about how to enlarge my penis. You bastard!