Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Printer prints in nothing but PINK

Old 05-31-04, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Printer prints in nothing but PINK

Hey everyone. Yes, subject line is correct, everything I'm printing comes out in shades of pink. Black is okay, but anything in color is a shade of pink. I'm on Windows 98 and the printer is an HP Desket 882c. I've changed the cartridge 3x and its the same result each time. I also tried cleaning the electrical connections with a Q-tip (found this on a printer troubleshooting website). No help. I looked on the HP website and other websites and nothing I have found has helped. Does anyone have any idea what I can do?
Old 05-31-04, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Printer prints in nothing but PINK

Originally posted by RJainMJ
Does anyone have any idea what I can do?
Yes - learn to accept it. Homosexuality is not a disease, but a genetic condition.

- David Stein
Old 05-31-04, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 06-01-04, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

HP usually has nozzle cleaning/alignment programs that get installed with the drivers. If they don't show up in the programs list, try going to control panel/printers and check the properties of the printer for an "advanced" tab or something along those lines.
Old 06-01-04, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Maybe you just need to replace your color cartridge?
Old 06-01-04, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Kind of along these lines, our office has a HP fax/printer used only to fax. When it prints faxes, they are black only, but the machine uses color.

I know because I have yet to see a color fax come in, yet I have replaced to color 2-3 times more often then black.

The machine will not run if there is no color, or no color cartridge.

Does anybody have a suggestion here?
Old 06-01-04, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since you've changed the cartridges 3X, I would say that your printer itself is the problem. About the only thing you can do at this point is clean the encoding strip with alcohol and a lint free cloth. This is a gray plastic runner that the cartridge cradle gets its information from. You can see it in the back of the cartridge cradle, it runs the length of the printer. Don't pull too hard on this as it can become disconnected. Short of that, ensure that the contacts in the cradle itself are thoroughly cleaned with alcohol.

I wrote the training manual for the HP support agents for this class of printer, its pretty old now, I would say that you're going to be buying a new printer real soon.