Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Opera issues

Old 05-30-04, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Opera issues

I'm about ready to go back to IE
I had version 5 or 6 at first, and it often would get a "program has performed an illegal operation" error and close. but it was livable
now I have 7.5, I only upgraded due to it having RSS feed compatibility built in so I wouldn't need to run another program all the time. I get those damn illegal operations a ton more, it will spike to 100% cpu usage for a few seconds quite often, and early today when I started it it gave a warning, just that a box that said warning with an ok button, and then when it opened it had deleted all my bookmarks, cookies (not a big deal), and had set all the preferences back to default. I haven't reinstalled since my problems earlier today but I have reinstalled this version when I first noticed the other issues with it.
oh, almost forgot, it also will reload pages for no reason at all while I'm reading them. And it's been giving some weird access denied error in the middle of loading pages so I'll only get a bit of the page, for example when it happened a few mintues ago on the other forum I got about 10 threads listed then the page cut off
Old 05-31-04, 01:23 AM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

Uninstall and reinstall. If it still happens don't go back to ancient IE, give mozilla/firefox a try.
Old 05-31-04, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I got mozilla once, before getting opera
Looks just like nutscrape, I mean netscape. While I used to use Netscape all the time, I've come to not like its looks
Old 05-31-04, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by mikehunt
I got mozilla once, before getting opera
Looks just like nutscrape, I mean netscape. While I used to use Netscape all the time, I've come to not like its looks
Then don't download the Mozilla package, just download Firefox. It doesn't look like Netscape and it has all the features you'd need:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/