Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Weird problem when downloading Bittorrent files

Old 05-30-04, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Weird problem when downloading Bittorrent files

It seems whenever I have a BT download my Internet connection dies out. I canít browse or do anything else. To fix this, I just turn off my cable modem and put it back on, then a few seconds later I can browse the net and the BT files goes on downloading.

I use Comcast cable. But this doesnít always happen. It may happen after 10% of a 50mb file, or it may happen after 90% of a 500mb file, or it may download 1GB and never stop.

Does anyone know why/how this is? Cause itís kinda annoying when downloading a huge file and you leave the house, then you come back seeing that only 40% is downloaded and the connection died.
Old 05-30-04, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, any number of things could be causing your problem.

I've heard of some ISP's that limit the max number of open TCP connections for their users, but I don't know how common that is. You may want to look in your BT client settings and see if there's someway to limit the total number of connections it makes.

That's sort of a long shot though, that kind of problem really could be caused by your router, your modem, your ISP, your machine, etc.
Old 05-31-04, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep... it could be your ISP is censoring you.....
Old 06-01-04, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Many ISPs limit bandwith on the ports that Bit Torrent and other p2ps use. Try changing the port range in your BT client.
Old 06-01-04, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Thrush
Many ISPs limit bandwith on the ports that Bit Torrent and other p2ps use. Try changing the port range in your BT client.
Well this doesn't happen for any other p2p apps. I guess I'll try changing the port.
Old 06-01-04, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm having this same problem and using the experimental BitTornado.

What port settings are you going to change to? I have mine on the default and have already played with the upload settings
since my connection is 3000 down and 100 up.
Old 06-01-04, 10:50 AM
Cool New Member

I have the same problem when using Azureus, but when I use the official client everything works fine... strange
Old 06-01-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I use Shadow's and rarely have any issues. Either downloading or uploading.
Old 06-01-04, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What is the official client? I currently use azureus with minimal headache. Is there any benefit to use the official one over azureus?
Old 06-01-04, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There's no real advantage to using the official client. The only minor benefit I can think of is that most all of the other clients are based on the official in terms of the protocol and behavior, so whenever Bram updates the official client, it takes a little while before those updates are reflected in the other clients.
Old 06-01-04, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, the one major advantage is that it doesn't crash all the time. Most of the other clients have been major headaches, so I just stick to BitTornado now. It's not very fancy, but it works consistently.

das
Old 06-01-04, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So is BitTornado the official client?
Old 06-01-04, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

ē Copenhagen ē

So is BitTornado the official client?
No, but it's very similar in style with extra tweaking ability.

The official client is here: http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/
And BitTornado (aka TheSHADOW's client aka Experimental Client) here: http://bittornado.com/

das
Old 06-01-04, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks!
Old 06-02-04, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Same problem here. My theory is that it's a problem with my modem - if either the upload or the download is too high, my modem just zonks. Have to turn it off then back on again.

Torrents do it semi-often. Downloading NG headers (unthrottled) also does it sometimes. It only happens when a lot is going up or down.
Old 06-02-04, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by mgbfan
Same problem here. My theory is that it's a problem with my modem - if either the upload or the download is too high, my modem just zonks. Have to turn it off then back on again.

Torrents do it semi-often. Downloading NG headers (unthrottled) also does it sometimes. It only happens when a lot is going up or down.
So it's not the port settings?
Old 06-03-04, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does anyone else have a problem with Torrents hanging endlessly at 99%?

I have this issue and when watching it I notice it getting down to maybe 5 seconds left then it'll jump back up to a minute or two and then repeat this over and over while hanging at 99%.

I was starting to wonder if it was a way to make people keep their windows open longer for others to upload from.
Old 06-03-04, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm pretty sure it happens because of the crappy router I use, and also, it only happens when the dl speed is in excess of 150 k/sec. I guess I could use netlimiter, but usually I just lower my upload speed and max # of connections, and usually that helps.

Also, when I get disconnected, only my pc is disconnected. The rest of the network can browse fine.
Old 06-03-04, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

By the way how DO you change the BT ports?
Old 06-03-04, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

nazz, if you're using the latest version of BitTornado, that's a known bug. For some reason, it appears as if the last bug constantly fails the hash check, so BitTornado discards it and starts again. AFAIK, the only workaround is to cancel the torrent and then restart it, at which point it'll download some bits and then complete as usual.

Class316, it varies from client to client. You'd have to tell us which one you were using.
Old 06-07-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I use the official one.
Old 06-08-04, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Choose a port range within the region 49152 through 65535 is preferable. Notice that some clients, like Azureus 2.0.7.0 or higher, use a single port for all torrents, while most others use one port per open torrent. The size of the range you choose should take this into account (typically less than 10 ports wide. There is no benefit whatsoever in choosing a wide range, and there are possible security implications).

These ports are used for connections between peers, not client to tracker. Therefore this change will not interfere with your ability to use other trackers (in fact it should increase your speed with torrents from any tracker)
Old 06-09-04, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i have this problem if i don't keep my max upload speed fairly low. if the upload gets too close to my DSL's cap everything chokes.
Old 06-24-04, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What are average download speeds using the BitTornado client? This is my first time trying BitTorrent so I'm not sure what to expect. For two downloads I'm trying now I am averaging about 4kps download (others are averaging 10-15kps upload from me). Each file has about 25-35 users sharing, is this the normal speed I am to expect?
Old 06-24-04, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by johnglass
What are average download speeds using the BitTornado client? This is my first time trying BitTorrent so I'm not sure what to expect. For two downloads I'm trying now I am averaging about 4kps download (others are averaging 10-15kps upload from me). Each file has about 25-35 users sharing, is this the normal speed I am to expect?
It really varies. The dynamics of a swarm can be pretty complicated and you have to sort of be familiar with how the bittorrent protocol works and have used it for a while before you get a really good feel for it.

Generally, the higher the seeder to leecher ratio, the faster your download will be. The larger the swarm, the faster your download will be. The more peers you can connect to (forward your ports), the faster your download will be. The faster you upload, the faster your download will be.

I've seen torrents that took over a week of downloading 24/7 to complete (partly because it was a big file, but also partly because it was being seeded really slowly). I've also had torrents that had so many seeders, that it saturated my download bandwidth (>3Mb/s).

Note that torrents will almost always start out very slow and only start to pick up speed after you've got a few percent downloaded.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.