Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

palm m505 crash

Old 05-30-04, 01:31 AM

palm m505 crash

Not really sure what happened to my Palm Pilot. It may have something to do with being in a hospital close to MRI/X-RAY machines... But, me Palm doesn't work anymore! I get some kind of startup screen that flashes on and off. Is there a way to reinstall the software/OS back onto this thing? I'm thinking that maybe some strong magnetic waves may have wiped the memory/ROM???

I have the original CD's, but that's it and sync'ing with my computer doesn't do anything useful

Thanks
Old 05-30-04, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Try a warm reset, then a hard reset. Note that a hard reset clears all of your data from the handheld, but you'll get it back once you sync, assuming the data is on the PC you sync with.

From some FAQ I just found:

1.1_ RESETS

1.1.1_ Soft Reset
Press the reset button, located in the small hole on the back of the PalmPilot, once.

1.1.2_ Warm Reset
Press the reset button while holding the UP button. Performing a warm reset bypasses any type of system "extensions" that you have installed. This will sometimes also resolve issues with errant programs that cause the "boot loop" where you keep seeing the "Welcome to PalmPilot" message over and over again.

1.1.3_ Hard Reset
Press the reset button while holding the green power button. You will be prompted for verification.
IMPORTANT NOTE: This WILL delete everything installed on your PalmPilot. You should use this reset only as a last resort. You should regularly HotSync your PalmOS.