Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Help! Installed WD Raptor SATA Hard Drive.

Old 05-28-04, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Help! Installed WD Raptor SATA Hard Drive.

OK, I installed a new 74 GM 10K RPM WD Raptor SATA Hard Drive in my system. I did a clean install of Windows XP Pro. Now everytime I startup my system or reboot it asked to insert a boot disk into drive A: If I leave the Windows XP Pro CD in the CD-ROM it will boot into Windows like normal. What could be the problem?

I only have one Hard Drive at the present time.
Old 05-28-04, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

OK, now when I attach a HD to an IDE cable I don't need the Boot CD in. WTF could be the problem.
Old 05-28-04, 08:57 PM
X
Administrator

You probably have the BIOS set up to expect some IDE drives. It's waiting for them and would probably boot up if you gave it long enough.

Set all your IDE devices to Auto in your BIOS. Make sure your SATA controller is your first boot device (or at least before IDE devices other than CD-ROMs).
Old 05-29-04, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by X
You probably have the BIOS set up to expect some IDE drives. It's waiting for them and would probably boot up if you gave it long enough.

Set all your IDE devices to Auto in your BIOS. Make sure your SATA controller is your first boot device (or at least before IDE devices other than CD-ROMs).
My boot is setup to go directly to the SATA drive w/o any others in the boot sequence. Very strange problem. Now what will happen when I hook up my other SATA drive? I guess I'll find out come Tuesday.
Old 05-29-04, 12:08 PM
X
Administrator

It doesn't matter what the boot order is if your BIOS is actively looking for other drives to exist at boot time. If the BIOS sees a drive there it's going to spend a while waiting for it to get started and show up. This happens before the boot sequence is even considered.

That's why you make sure any IDE drives not set to Auto in your BIOS actually exist or just leave them all as Auto (which is generally preferred).
Old 05-29-04, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by X
It doesn't matter what the boot order is if your BIOS is actively looking for other drives to exist at boot time. If the BIOS sees a drive there it's going to spend a while waiting for it to get started and show up. This happens before the boot sequence is even considered.

That's why you make sure any IDE drives not set to Auto in your BIOS actually exist or just leave them all as Auto (which is generally preferred).
X,

Everything is set to Auto and I still get the same problem. Could it have anything to do with the IDE drive (on 2nd IDE channel) being set to primary vs. cable select?
Old 05-29-04, 08:19 PM
X
Administrator

It could if the drive position is conflicting with the position on the cable. I've even seen problems when it isn't conflicting. I find CS is much more reliable these days.

It could be your system is detecting a drive but not seeing what it expects due to a master/slave/cable select conflict.