Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Installing DVD-RW/Hard Drive : Hard ?

Old 05-26-04, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Installing DVD-RW/Hard Drive : Hard ?

I'm thinking of adding a new hard drive and a dvd writer to my computer but I have no idea if I can do it on my own or if I should hire a professional to do it.

Is it easy ?

Should I do it if I'm not that experienced with computer hardware ?
Old 05-26-04, 11:02 PM
X
Administrator

Give it a try. Just read the instructions and don't plug anything in until you feel fairly confident you have it right. If you don't force connectors you have a hard time of ruining anything.

You can always hire a professional if you screw it up.
Old 05-26-04, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk God

I've never read a lick of instructions for any drive I've ever installed (2 cd-rw drives, 2 HDs, and 1 DVD-R drive). I've never had a problem.
Old 05-26-04, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I already have two hard drives (1 4gigs and 1 17gigs), will I have enough connections on my motherboard for a 3rd or will I need to take off the 4 gigs one ?

Same thing for my CD-Rom drives, I have an old cd-rom and a cd-rw. Should I take one of these off ?

Thanks for all the advice.
Old 05-27-04, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Let me put it this way - I did it and I couldn't put together a basic lego set.
Old 05-10-12, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Installing DVD-RW/Hard Drive : Hard ?

I just bought a new HP desktop and want to add a 2nd DVD-R drive. Can I expect that the necessary cables (IDE, power, sound card) needed to hook up the 2nd drive will be inside the CPU casing when I open it up? Or will I need to buy them separately?
Old 05-10-12, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It'll be unlikely to have an IDE cable since everything is SATA these days. IDE cables are cheap though.

Make sure the motherboard has an IDE connector though. I think you also could use two sATA-IDE adapters - one for data and another for power.
Old 05-10-12, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
It'll be unlikely to have an IDE cable since everything is SATA these days. IDE cables are cheap though.

Make sure the motherboard has an IDE connector though. I think you also could use two sATA-IDE adapters - one for data and another for power.
Unless you have an adapter laying around, it may not cost that much more for a new dvdrw. I bought one recently for around $12 shipped. I bought an adapter before and it just never worked.
Old 05-11-12, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
I just bought a new HP desktop and want to add a 2nd DVD-R drive. Can I expect that the necessary cables (IDE, power, sound card) needed to hook up the 2nd drive will be inside the CPU casing when I open it up? Or will I need to buy them separately?
I'd double check if I was you. I have an HP that's a couple of years old. While a normal power supply (the kind you buy yourself at Newegg or Fry's) should have plenty of spare power connectors, the HP OEM power supply only has one spare (Molex) power connector. I got an SSD for Christmas and couldn't use it right away because I needed an adapter to change the old fashioned Molex power plug to an SATA plug. The HP also didn't have any spare SATA cables inside, so I had to order one of those too (I'd planned to use my old HDD for storage and the SSD for the OS). OEMs really like to cut corners these days, so it's probably worth your time to open the case and check it out inside before ordering anything.