Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

what the hell is a microsoft error report?

Old 05-26-04, 07:35 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

what the hell is a microsoft error report?

every so often i'll get a MICROSOFT ERROR REPORT. i get it every time i go to rollingstone.com. you have 2 options. send or dont send. if you dont send, it closes the website. if you do send it appars to load something, but then does nothing.

really strange. anyone know what this is?
Old 05-26-04, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Send Microsoft error report"... hmmmmmm... nope, I just can't fathom what that might be.

It's exactly what it sounds like. When a fatal program error occurs, Windows XP (and maybe 2000) have some built-in functionality to notify Microsoft that a certain program has died and to describe the conditions that prompted it. Ostensibly, the purpose is to help Microsoft debug its software so that the problems don't happen again.

It may have actually helped Microsoft to send these reports during the months following the release of Windows XP. Today, it's completely pointless - Microsoft has received million of these reports.

You can turn off error reporting somehow - it's a control panel setting - a Google search, or maybe someone else here, can tell you how.

- David Stein
Old 05-26-04, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My Computer --> Properties --> Advanced --> Error Reportings

You can disable it there if you don't want that window to popup when a program crashes.
Old 05-28-04, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It actually helped me once. I kept getting fatal errors in any Office program. Reloading Office did no good. At first, I clicked, do not send error report. Then I sent it about three to four times in a row. Then when I sent it again, I got another message that told me MS had "analyzed" my problem and there was a conflict with my HP printer driver that was causing the error. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why a printer driver would cause an error in Office (the error happened when opening the program, never could get it to do anything, let alone try to print). But, I deleted the printer driver and Office has worked fine since.
Old 05-29-04, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Sdallnct
Then when I sent it again, I got another message that told me MS had "analyzed" my problem and there was a conflict with my HP printer driver that was causing the error.
Crap! Really? That's awesome. It was my impression that the responses just got aggregated so they could tackle the most common problems, but generally got redirected to /dev/null.

- David Stein
Old 05-29-04, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by sfsdfd
Crap! Really? That's awesome. It was my impression that the responses just got aggregated so they could tackle the most common problems, but generally got redirected to /dev/null.

- David Stein
Yup, I was surprised. And even more surprised that their direction helped me. The message even refered me to the HP site. However, I have been using another printer here lately and have not bothered to even see if there is an updated driver for my main printer.